Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis set orthonormality property

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    What does orthonormality of a basis set i.e. {χ_i} stand for? I am reading the Mulliken Population Analysis and there are integrals that are simplified by this property of basis sets and I can't quite catch what is it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what an inner product (also called scalar product) is? Two vectors u and v are said to be orthogonal if their inner product is zero: <u,v>=0. The quantity

[tex]\|u\|=\sqrt{\langle u,u\rangle}[/tex]

is called the norm of u. A basis is said to be orthonormal if all its members have norm 1 and are orthogonal to each other, i.e. if

[tex]\langle x_i,x_j\rangle=\delta_{ij}[/tex]

where [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta (=1 when i=j, and =0 otherwise).

Intuitively, you can think of this as meaning that the basis vectors all have length 1 and are perpendicular to each other, but we're really talking about generalizations of those concepts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?