Orthonormal Basis of Wavefunctions in Hilbert Space

In summary: But in general, it's not always possible, as you might encounter e.g. in the case of Schrödinger equation, where the eigenvalues are not all real.
Jd_duarte
Hello,

I've a fundamental question that seems to keep myself confused about the mathematics of quantum mechanics. For simplicity sake I'll approach this in the discrete fashion. Consider the countable set of functions of Hilbert space, labeled by [itex] i\in \mathbb{N} [/itex]. This set [itex] \left \{u_{i}(\overrightarrow{r}) \right \} [/itex] is orthonormal and canonical (can it be?). So my question is regarding the position vector of the basis: What is the explicit expression that accounts for the position in this case? The wavefunction has a value that depends on the position that can be expressed by the basis multiplied by a complex value, so the information of the variation of this constant by position must be in the basis function. What am I failing to see here?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd_duarte said:
Hello,

I've a fundamental question that seems to keep myself confused about the mathematics of quantum mechanics. For simplicity sake I'll approach this in the discrete fashion. Consider the countable set of functions of Hilbert space, labeled by [itex] i\in \mathbb{N} [/itex]. This set [itex] \left \{u_{i}(\overrightarrow{r}) \right \} [/itex] is orthonormal and canonical (can it be?). So my question is regarding the position vector of the basis: What is the explicit expression that accounts for the position in this case? The wavefunction has a value that depends on the position that can be expressed by the basis multiplied by a complex value, so the information of the variation of this constant by position must be in the basis function. What am I failing to see here?

Your help will be much appreciated!

I think I see now what I failed to see, the discrete approach does not simplify, it is the source of the problem. I still didn't get this 100%, why is there a closure relation? What is the need to express a basis that is orthonormal for every continuous value?

The position vector is irrelevant as far as it concerns the basis. It is merely a variable of the functions involved. However, depending on how the inner product is defined, it plays a role for that, e.g. ##\langle u_i,u_j \rangle = \int_M u_i(\vec{r})u_j^\dagger(\vec{r}) \,d\vec{r}##. But as soon as you have a orthonormal basis, the variable has nothing to do with it.

As to whether such a basis can be chosen canonically, well, you can apply the Gram-Schmidt algorithm in case of a separable space.

Likes Jd_duarte

1. What is an orthonormal basis of wavefunctions in Hilbert space?

An orthonormal basis of wavefunctions in Hilbert space is a set of functions that are both orthogonal and normalized. This means that they are perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of one. They serve as a basis for describing the quantum states of a system in Hilbert space.

2. What is the significance of using an orthonormal basis of wavefunctions in Hilbert space?

Using an orthonormal basis of wavefunctions allows us to represent any function in Hilbert space as a linear combination of these basis functions. This makes it easier to solve complex quantum mechanical problems and understand the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How do you determine if a set of wavefunctions is orthonormal in Hilbert space?

To determine if a set of wavefunctions is orthonormal, we must check if they are both orthogonal and normalized. This can be done by taking the inner product of each function with every other function in the set and ensuring that the result is zero for orthogonal functions and one for normalized functions.

4. Can an orthonormal basis of wavefunctions be used for any quantum system?

Yes, an orthonormal basis of wavefunctions can be used for any quantum system as long as the system is described by a Hilbert space. This includes systems such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

5. How does the concept of an orthonormal basis of wavefunctions relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle can be known simultaneously. An orthonormal basis of wavefunctions allows us to describe the quantum states of a system, including these properties, and understand the limitations imposed by the uncertainty principle.