Bell-icon Alert with a closed-topic not show lock icon to indicate

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I just read a now closed-topic, which was included in the bell icon listing of Alert topics. I saw and still see no lock symbol to indicate the topic is closed. I actually read through the posts of the topic to find that it has been locked. To actually put a lock symbols in the bell icon's alert listings would be nice, just in case a reading member tries to respond to a posting in the locked topic.

See what I say? See a number of alerts on the bell icon; right-click and choose open in new tab; find the listing of alerted topics, and the one which is locked should be given a lock icon next to it so the reading member is aware, "do not try to post any responses here now".

When we find a topic on/through the main forum page, the lock icon for a closed topic is nearly always shown.

note: I will recheck again, just in case some lag time is included before the lock visible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a link to the thread? Are you on a phone or a PC? What OS and Browser?

At the forum list level, you should see a little padlock on the thread. Inside the thread, at the top and bottom of each page you should see a red notification that the thread is closed...

berkeman said:
Can you give a link to the thread? Are you on a phone or a PC? What OS and Browser?

At the forum list level, you should see a little padlock on the thread. Inside the thread, at the top and bottom of each page you should see a red notification that the thread is closed...
Still in process of rechecking; but what I am finding is when opening the locked topic, at least at top of page and on bottom of page, there is a lock icon and the red words saying the topic is locked.

The topic I have noticed this for today is, https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...r-electrical-engineering.976673/#post-6934081

As you say, yes on the main page , going into STEM Career Guidance subforum, that topic does have the lock icon shown there.

Yes, there is a padlock icon for that thread in the forum list (Academic Advising forum), and the red notes at the top and bottom of the page. Hopefully if you try to reply to it, you either get a notice right away that you can't or you see the red note at the bottom of the page under the Edit window when you try to compose a reply.

berkeman said:
Hopefully if you try to reply to it, ...
Yes but ... The OP is requesting that there be an indicator in the Alerts list that the thread is locked.

I too have noticed this oversight but didn't feel it was worth starting a topic; I do agree however it would be an improvement in usability.

Likes symbolipoint
berkeman said:
Yes, there is a padlock icon for that thread in the forum list (Academic Advising forum), and the red notes at the top and bottom of the page. Hopefully if you try to reply to it, you either get a notice right away that you can't or you see the red note at the bottom of the page under the Edit window when you try to compose a reply.
Yes and that is what happens from time to time when I miss seeing that the topic was locked. So far what it means is that I or anyone else needs to watch more carefully about if a topic is locked or not.