Benoit Mandelbrot, father of fractal geometry, has died

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alienjoey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mandelbrot Rip
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Alienjoey
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Not sure if others have heard, but Benoit Mandelbrot, the father of fractal geometry, passed away this week, as confirmed by the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/us/17mandelbrot.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES-yKOYaXq0

And now the line "Mandelbrot's in heaven, at least he will be when he's dead" in the Jonathan Coulton song needs to be revised. :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wow didn't hear about it.

Some of his most interesting writings are in the area of market pricing and finance.

Passing of a legend.
 
Sad news, this is the first I've heard it too. RIP.
 
Yes, a really sad news.

The father of the most beautiful math drawing.

The Mandlebrot set is one of the first thing I drew on a computer screen 20 years ago.

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/2/e/12edf0635c043e52e47767a446a49662.png[/URL]

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg/250px-Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
D:<

Mandelbrot's in heaven... as JoCo said he will be when he's dead.
 
He'll be buried in a coffin in the exact shape of the Mandelbrot Set. Estimates of when the coffin will be finished are pending.
 
Quinzio said:
The Mandlebrot set is one of the first thing I drew on a computer screen 20 years ago.

Who didn't :frown:
 
Quinzio said:
Yes, a really sad news.

The father of the most beautiful math drawing.

The Mandlebrot set is one of the first thing I drew on a computer screen 20 years ago.

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/2/e/12edf0635c043e52e47767a446a49662.png[/URL]

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg/250px-Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg[/QUOTE]

I remember when it took a day to generate the set on my XT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Quinzio said:
Yes, a really sad news.

The father of the most beautiful math drawing.

The Mandlebrot set is one of the first thing I drew on a computer screen 20 years ago.

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/2/e/12edf0635c043e52e47767a446a49662.png[/URL]

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg/250px-Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg[/QUOTE]

Me too. I just dug out the printout of the program, and the screen dump: 1983.

Thanks Benny! For all the wonderful pictures.
 
Last edited by a moderator: