Berija's victims to be made public by 2028?

• News
  • Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
In summary, the Russian government acknowledged Sarkisov's handwritten list of Beria's victims in 2003; the victims' names will be released in 2028.
sbrothy
Gold Member
I suddenly have a history/politics question but I'm not active on any history forums. Then I remembered this forum. Maybe you people know something. My google searches come up short:

"The Russian government acknowledged Sarkisov's handwritten list of Beria's [rape -] victims in 2003; the victims' names will be released in 2028.[citation needed]."
- - - - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavrentiy_Beria

I stumbled on the above curious "fact" just browsing wikipedia but as you can see there's no citation (and I can't find thd usual "Talk" - link). Anyone heard of this before? Not that the man was an a**hole and a rapist, mind, I've never doubted that. But this list thingy is new to me. I know it's just wikipedia. Still though...

EDIT: I found the Talk-page via google but no clue there.

Science news on Phys.org
Oh, thanks. So it's really true. That's an awful long time. I guess they didn't see the "me-too" movement coming.

Who knows what else is in these files. They barely bother any trends or movements. Berja is widely seen as who he was, but e.g. Stalin has still some reputation and followers. 2028 seems to be long enough to let them pass away or at least turn the issue into history rather than politics.

Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:
long enough to let them pass away or at least turn the issue into history rather than politics.
I like this phrase.
Its a Kuhnian transformation.

epenguin said:
NB This Times article is from Jan 2003.
... which is why the entire calculation is correct: 2003 + 25 = 2028.

fresh_42 said:
... which is why the entire calculation is correct: 2003 + 25 = 2028.
OK, just in case anyone read that as recent news.

It occurred to me that, lending the Russian justice system more credit than perhaps everyone would, there might have been a very cautious application of the principle that, in UK law - I don't know about others - guarantees lifetime anonymity to rape victims.

Last edited:
Just in case someone misunderstands my "me-too" - comment... I was *not* trying to make a (supremely distasteful) joke (at the poor victims' expense). It was an (admittedly weak) attempt at putting it into perspective. Of course they couldn't anticipate the (specific type of) social upheavel in the future. (Here I'm tempted to make a pun on 20/20 hindsight from the year 2020 but the subject is just nauseating)...

Last edited:
I may have to correct this. It seems they were already made public in 2003. I dunno where I got 2028 from. But wiki says:

"In 2003, the Russian government acknowledged Sarkisov's handwritten list of Beria's victims, which reportedly contains hundreds of names.[74] The victims' names were also released to the public in 2003.[74]"
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavrentiy_Beria

Admittedly it did seem to me to be a long wait.

EDIT: Given the nature of Wiki someone could've edited it.
EDIT: But man what a nasty fella.

1. Who was Berija and why are his victims being made public by 2028?

Berija was a Soviet politician and head of the secret police during the Stalin era. His victims are being made public by 2028 as part of a government initiative to acknowledge and honor those who suffered under his regime.

2. How many victims are expected to be revealed by 2028?

It is estimated that Berija's victims number in the hundreds of thousands, although the exact number is still unknown. The process of identifying and verifying each victim's story is ongoing.

3. What methods are being used to identify Berija's victims?

Researchers are using a variety of methods, including archival records, eyewitness testimonies, and DNA analysis, to identify and verify the victims of Berija's regime. This process is complex and time-consuming, but it is crucial in order to accurately honor and remember those who suffered.

4. Will the names of Berija's victims be publicly released?

Yes, the names of Berija's victims will be publicly released as part of the government's initiative. However, the release of this information will be done with sensitivity and respect for the victims and their families.

5. What impact will the release of Berija's victims' names have on society?

The release of Berija's victims' names will have a significant impact on society, as it will bring to light the atrocities committed during his regime and serve as a reminder of the importance of upholding human rights. It will also provide closure and recognition for the victims and their families, and hopefully prevent similar abuses of power from occurring in the future.