Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bessel function of second kind with integer order.

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    I have a question about deriving the Bessel function of the second kind with integer order. I understand that the Bessel function and the second independent variable is defined as:
    [tex]L(y)=x^2y''+xy'+(x^{2}-n^{2})y=0[/tex]
    [tex]y_{2}(x)=aJ_m(x) ln(x)+\sum_{u=0}^{\infty} C_{u} x^{u+n}[/tex]
    and Bessel first kind for integer order is
    [tex]J_{n}(x)=\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}}[/tex]

Without going through the series manipulations and factoring out, let me jump to the grouping with terms containing ##a ln(x)##
    [tex]a ln(x)\left[ \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+n)(2k+n-1)x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+n)x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n+2}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} - n^{2}\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}}\right][/tex]

You can see this is in form of
    [tex]L(y_{1})=x^{2} y_{1}'' + xy_{1}'+(x^{2}-n^{2})y_{1}[/tex]
    Where
    [tex] y_{1}=\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}}[/tex]
    My question is in the next step, the derivation claimed
    [tex]L(y_{1})=x^{2} y_{1}'' + xy_{1}'+(x^{2}-n^{2})y_{1}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;a ln(x)\left[ \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+n)(2k+n-1)x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+n)x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n+2}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + n^{2}\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}}\right]=0[/tex]
    And all these disappeared!!!

I understand the definition for the Bessel function is
    But that does not imply when you see anything like [tex]L(y_{1})=x^{2} y_{1}'' + xy_{1}'+(x^{2}-n^{2})y_{1}[/tex] it is automatically equal to zero. Please explain.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2
    I resolve it already. It is very simple

It is given already that
    Where
    [tex] y_{1}=\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}}[/tex]

[tex]a ln(x)\left[ \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+n)(2k+n-1)x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+n)x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} + \sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n+2}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}} - n^{2}\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+n}}{k!(k+n)!2^{2k+n}}\right]=a ln(x)\left[x^{2} y_{1}'' + xy_{1}'+(x^{2}-n^{2})y_{1}\right]=0[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook