Best Fluid to Use for Charpy Impact Testing

In summary, the speaker is experiencing difficulties with water freezing at the bottom of their chiller during Charpy tests. They are looking for recommendations and hands-on experience with Heat Transfer Fluids or methods to reduce this issue. The chiller being used is the FTS Systems Multi-Cool: Low Temperature Bath/Circulator, and the current HTF being used is Syltherm XLT (HT-30). The speaker is also open to sharing any additional information or new findings.
bhousetx3
Hello Guys,

I have been doing Charpy tests for the past couple of months and notice that I can't get rid of the water that keeps freezing and sinking to the bottom of the my chiller. It's becoming more of a hassle that my agitator stops due to the water freezing at the bottom of the chiller. What are some Heat Transfer Fluids and/or methods that I can use that will reduce this.

Chiller: FTS Systems Multi-Cool: Low Temperature Bath / Circulator
HTF: Syltherm XLT (HT-30)

Any hands on experience or recommendations on this will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is the purpose of Charpy impact testing?

Charpy impact testing is used to measure the impact toughness of a material, which is its ability to withstand sudden shocks or impacts without breaking.

Why is it important to choose the right fluid for Charpy impact testing?

The fluid used in Charpy impact testing can affect the results and accuracy of the test. The wrong fluid can result in incorrect measurements and lead to incorrect conclusions about the material's impact toughness.

What are the factors to consider when choosing the best fluid for Charpy impact testing?

The factors to consider include the temperature at which the test will be conducted, the type of material being tested, and the type of impact the material is expected to experience in its intended use.

What are some commonly used fluids for Charpy impact testing?

Some commonly used fluids for Charpy impact testing include ethylene glycol, water, and silicone oil. These fluids have different viscosities and temperatures, making them suitable for different types of materials and test conditions.

How can I ensure the accuracy of the Charpy impact test results?

To ensure accuracy, it is essential to follow the testing standards and protocols set by organizations such as ASTM and ISO. It is also crucial to use high-quality equipment and carefully select the appropriate fluid for the material and test conditions.