Best Place To Start Learning About in Astrophysics

In summary, the best things to learn about in Astrophysics would be calculus and Newtonian mechanics, followed by articles about cosmology on Wikipedia. For an introductory level course, Khan Academy would be a good place to start.
TaurusSteve
Summary:: Which area to best start learning about in Astrophysics.

I'm 44 years old and when I was at school we only learned basic things in Maths. Now I'm older, I'm fascinated by the Universe and Astrophysics etc. What would be the best things/areas, maths wise, to learn about first?

Physics news on Phys.org
TaurusSteve said:
Just so I can understand equations etc.
The GCSE and A-Level mathematics syllabus is covered here:

https://www.examsolutions.net/

That's the basic mathematical starting point. After that you are looking at university undergraduate level texts and courses.

More generally, there is the Khan Academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

TaurusSteve said:
I'm 44 years old and when I was at school we only learned basic things in Maths. Now I'm older, I'm fascinated by the Universe and Astrophysics etc. What would be the best things/areas, maths wise, to learn about first?
"Universe and Astrophysics" are very broad topics, covering almost all the physics and math domains/areas you can imagine. In my opinion, you cannot be wrong to begin with calculus and Newtonian mechanics.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physical properties and processes of celestial objects and phenomena.

2. What are some good resources for learning about astrophysics?

Some good resources for learning about astrophysics include textbooks, online courses, scientific journals, and educational websites such as NASA's website or Khan Academy.

3. What are some key concepts to understand in astrophysics?

Some key concepts in astrophysics include gravity, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, nuclear physics, and relativity.

4. What skills are needed to study astrophysics?

To study astrophysics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important.

5. What are some career opportunities in astrophysics?

Career opportunities in astrophysics include research positions at universities or government agencies, teaching positions, science communication, and working for space agencies or private companies involved in space exploration.