1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I start learning about moments of inertia?

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question doesn't follow the guidelines for asking for homework help because I'm looking for sources where I can learn about moments of inertia, not help for a specific homework problem. I'm going to try to figure out the moment of inertia of a propeller, but I don't know enough about moments if inertia yet. Where can I learn about this? Thanks for any help!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2
    Any basic university physics textbook would help you, I guess...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. Nov 20, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what a 'universitary' physics textbook is, but figuring out the moment on inertia of a complex mechanism, like a propeller, by calculation is generally avoided, unless there is already a numerical description of the blades, hub, etc. Most complex mechanisms have their moments of inertia determined experimentally, either by mounting the mechanism in a special pendulum and swinging it, or having it rotated by a known moment and measuring how long it takes to start or stop rotating.

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4
    Sorry, I meant an 'university' physics texbook...
    The OP said he wanted to start learning about moments of inertia. If you have no knowledge in this area yet, I think the best route would be learning some basics in the subject.
    But what is your objective in determining the moment of inertia of a propeller? It's a project, a homework? If it's a homework, maybe you could simplify your problem. I've seen some problems that ask you to determine the moment of inertia of rotor blades by simplifying them as rods rotated at the end or maybe as rectangular planes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted