Best way to learn MATLAB with little CS background

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter cogneurodude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Matlab
In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to prepare for learning MATLAB before grad school. They mention taking an online linear algebra course and learning some C++ in the meantime. They question whether this will help them learn MATLAB more easily and express concern about not having direct applications to the software. The person responding suggests that a CS background is not necessary for learning MATLAB and recommends getting a student version or using the free alternative Octave with online tutorials.
cogneurodude
So, I know I will have to learn MATLAB in grad school and be pretty proficient in it to do quantitative neuroimaging analyses.

My question is: what can I do in the couple months before then to obtain a decent background for MATLAB, without having the program yet?

I found an free online MIT open course on linear algebra (which i hear is good to know for matlab) and I've been trying to learn some C++. Will getting a decent understanding in these areas help me learn MATLAB more quickly/easily? I feel like without having direct applications to the software, I can't learn much.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really need a CS background for Matlab. Linear algebra is indeed useful.

You can get the student version of Matlab for cheap. I think it comes with a neat book full of examples and tutorials, or at least it used to. If you don't want to spring for that, get Octave and find Matlab tutorials online. Octave is free and can run most Matlab scripts.

1. What is the best way to get started with learning MATLAB?

The best way to get started with learning MATLAB is to familiarize yourself with the basic syntax and functions. You can do this by going through online tutorials, watching video tutorials, or taking a beginner's course. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of programming concepts, but it is not necessary as MATLAB is designed to be user-friendly.

2. Do I need a strong computer science background to learn MATLAB?

No, you do not need a strong computer science background to learn MATLAB. While having some programming knowledge can be helpful, MATLAB is designed to be accessible to users of all levels. As long as you have a basic understanding of math and are willing to learn, you can pick up MATLAB with little to no background in computer science.

3. What are the benefits of learning MATLAB?

Learning MATLAB can open up a wide range of opportunities in various fields such as engineering, science, and finance. It is a powerful tool for data analysis, visualization, and modeling, making it a valuable skill to have in today's job market. Additionally, MATLAB is widely used in academic and research settings, making it a useful skill for students and professionals alike.

4. How long does it take to learn MATLAB?

The time it takes to learn MATLAB can vary depending on your learning style and the amount of time you dedicate to it. With consistent practice and dedication, you can learn the basics of MATLAB in a few weeks. However, becoming proficient in more advanced techniques may take longer.

5. Are there any resources available for learning MATLAB?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning MATLAB, including online tutorials, video tutorials, textbooks, and courses. You can also find helpful tips and advice from the MATLAB community through forums and discussion boards. Additionally, MATLAB has its own documentation and help center, making it easy to access information and troubleshoot any issues you may encounter while learning.