1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Way to Prep For a Perfect GRE Math Section Score

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    Ok so I have a degree in math. I'm pretty sure I'll get above average on the GRE math section. But I want to get a perfect. What are the best sources to get a perfect score? I tried reading princeton review, but they mostly give me common sense type questions. Are there any books that gives me a bunch of those headache inducing brainteasers?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2
    Are you applying to math grad schools or science grad schools because I dont think either of those care about your math score unless its unusually low like 600's

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    Statistics. But I still want to get a perfect score since I might be tutor for gre/sat math.

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Just do lots of practice problems. The first time I took it I hardly studied and got a score in the 600s. Then I spend a week doing some practice problems and got a 770. I had like 8 questions that I didn't have time to solve so I just guessed. So speed is an issue too.

6. Apr 7, 2013 #5
    Physic_UG. What source did you use? Did you skip the easy problems or did you do them all?

7. Apr 7, 2013 #6

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Well, anything that didn't have an obvious solution I would actually do. The problems are easy. My issue has always been with speed. I think I use more rigorous techniques (like actually setting up algebraic equations) to solve the problems but it is probably faster to look at the solutions and try to work backwards on some of them.

This test is not an IQ test and your score is highly a function of how much you study. For a math major you could probably get an 800 after devoting around 7-8 hours or maybe less of solid studying. All of the problems are similar in the techniques used to solve them.

8. Apr 7, 2013 #7

Physics_UG

Gold Member

oh, and I think I used barrons

9. Apr 8, 2013 #8
    If there was a multi million dollar industry behind coaching for IQ tests you would find they are a greater function of how much you study than you think

10. Apr 8, 2013 #9

Physics_UG

Gold Member

This is probably true. Hence IQ is meaningless.

11. Apr 8, 2013 #10
    Don't get too cocky. I had a few minutes talk with some Oxford math students when I took the subject GRE last November and one of them did really terrible the first time because the really elementary questions threw him off.

This is what will kill your score in my experience, both in the general and subject GRE's. Forget "honest" clean methodology, nobody is going to look at your work. Practice quick and dirty methods.

The official GRE guide has a CD with 4-5 real exams you can take either timed or without timing.

12. Apr 8, 2013 #11

Physics_UG

Gold Member

true, but I still did well enough with a 760 on quant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook