Betelgeuse unusual dimming - what's up?

• B
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, astronomers are observing Betelgeuse, which is the dimmest it has been in quite awhile. It is unclear if the star is about to explode, but scientists are keeping an eye on it.
Betelgeuse is probably too bright for Gaia anyway, but with the right brightness it can measure ~1 km/s. Some stars are variable with a timescale of just hours.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This might be the dumbest question I have ever asked here, but would pretty much every observatory in the world that could track it be observing it?

If it becomes a supernova? Yes. And every person would do so as well. The estimated rate for supernovae in our galaxy is one per ~50 years. Having one within the working life of current scientists is luck already. Having one just a few hundred light years away? That's the super jackpot.

We'll know about it in advance thanks to the neutrino detectors.

Likes Dragrath
Some signs of brightening.

EPe6YzjX0AE5UAM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg

The Fall and Rise in Brightness of Betelgeuse
Based on these and additional observations, Betelgeuse has definitely stopped dimming and has started to slowly brighten.
The minimum was 424+-4 days after the previous minimum, perfectly matching the 420-430 day cycles observed before.

Does this support hypothesis of 'engulfed planet' circling within the visible 'surface' with ~424 day orbit ??

How quickly would a gas giant or 'Brown Dwarf' erode thus, and would mass wastage be fast enough to affect orbit period to extent we could detect ?? { Providing prediction, and possible falsification...}

mfb said:
The Fall and Rise in Brightness of Betelgeuse

The minimum was 424+-4 days after the previous minimum, perfectly matching the 420-430 day cycles observed before.
The article mentions "the red supergiant Betelgeuse has been undergoing an unprecedented decrease in its visual (V) brightness since October 2019." I take that to mean that it is unprecedented since the development of accurate measurements and the recording thereof.

Back on Feb 1, the minimum brightness was expected on 21 (+/-7d) February, 2020.
http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13439

In the current article, "The star reached a mean light minimum of 1.614 +/- 0.008 mag during 07-13 February 2020," and the previous (shallower: V ~ +0.9 mag) light minimum was observed in mid-December 2018.

So the next dimming is ~10 April 2021, or 425 days from 10 Feb 2020.

Back on Jan 22, https://www.universetoday.com/144694/betelgeuse-is-continuing-to-dim-its-down-to-1-506-magnitude/

I presume the gaps in the luminosity data are during the summer months, between May and July, when Orion is not visible because it appears during the daytime.

I was looking at Betelgeuse a couple of nights ago, and it certainly looks very dim. I wonder if will become brighter than normal, or just recover to a typical maximum.

Likes davenn and sophiecentaur
I heard a suggestion that Betelgeuse's variable luminosity could be due to two variations with different frequencies. The beat between the two could be producing an unusually deep dip. It may be on the way up and perhaps could also get brighter than expected for a while.
I can't help hoping (however irresponsibly) that it will be seen to go Nova in my lifetime. Daytime astrophotography would have an alternative subject for images.

There is a long term graph here:

It doesn't look that unusual. It appears to have got this dim in the 1980s. And presumably many times in the past. It is a variable star. So varying is what it does.

and it looks like the dimming May be over
http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13512

Likes Dragrath and nsaspook
I keep seeing the reassuring "safe distance" from Betelgeuse in the event of supernova. This may be a relief to those worrying the Earth's magnetosphere or atmosphere might be at risk. However, anyone here authoritatively know about supernova neutrinos having an effect on the Sun, and if so, what the very much higher neutrino flux from a close one might do?

Admin - please remove the following if it is not appropriate
The "pop" version suggests ice cores indicating solar variation mapped to the past very distant supernovae show a brief cooling of the Sun followed by a longer warming of the Sun before setting back to normal, these blips effecting the Earth about 100 years later, each instance taking that long to reach the Solar surface from the core... the hook being that the flux and effect from Betelgeuse would be comparatively extremely high... maybe two orders of magnitude.

Last edited:
This keeps getting worse and worse.

1. If you trust the models that say Betelgeuse will supernova withing ~100,000 years, you have to trust the very same models that say it will not supernova within ~2000 years.

2. There is no reason to think dimming is an indicator that a supernova is about to occur. This is particularly true for a periodic oscillation. We're at a periodic minimum now.

3. There is no correlation in ice cores between supernovae and solar temperature. The Japanese ice core work showed the regular 11-year solar cycle on top of three spikes, two of which we see are close in time with known supernova. Maybe the so-called "pop" science writer was confused, but this isn't "pop science". It's nonsense.

Last edited:
In my previous post, I had pointed out that the article from Astronomer's Telegram indicates the recent dimming is unprecedented. I found a plot posted by AAVSO showing luminosity from 1911 to 2001, and there appears a similar dimming event around 1948 (eyeball estimate from 6 cycles from 1941).
https://www.aavso.org/sites/default/files/images/LTbetelgeuse.jpg
From article: https://www.aavso.org/vsots_alphaori

Costantino Sigismondi (ICRA/Sapienza, ITIS Ferraris, Rome and AAVSO (SGQ)) wrote in a paper, "Betelgeuse, the alpha of Orion, is a semi-regular variable star, supergiant. Its variability was presumably known since the antiquity (Wilk,1999), but Sir John Herschel is the first to point out its variability in modern time (1840). Allen (1899) reports that in 1852, it began the brightest star of the Northern hemisphere. Helen L.Thomas (1948), conversely, affirmed that stellar variability was not a concern of antiquity."

I can only find the Wilk reference - S. R. Wilk, FURTHER MYTHOLOGICAL EVIDENCE FOR ANCIENT KNOWLEDGE OF VARIABLE STARS, JAAVSO Volume 27, p. 171-174 (1999)

Elizabeth O. Waagen does indicate that the recent dimming event is rather rare.
https://www.aavso.org/aavso-alert-notice-690

bahamagreen said:
The "pop" version suggests ice cores indicating solar variation mapped to the past very distant supernovae show a brief cooling of the Sun followed by a longer warming of the Sun before setting back to normal, these blips effecting the Earth about 100 years later, each instance taking that long to reach the Solar surface from the core... the hook being that the flux and effect from Betelgeuse would be comparatively extremely high... maybe two orders of magnitude.
That makes no sense at all. I don't know what you read (and you didn't tell us) but it was nonsense or you completely misunderstood it.

About ~1037 neutrinos would go through the Sun, give or take two orders of magnitude. Less than one in a million of them would interact with anything in the Sun, reactions that change anything (instead of just giving a particle a small kick) would be again orders of magnitude less common.
As comparison: The Sun produces about the same number of neutrinos, 1037, every second. It won't have any impact on the Sun at all.

Likes Dragrath
mfb said:
That makes no sense at all. I don't know what you read (and you didn't tell us) but it was nonsense or you completely misunderstood it.

About ~1037 neutrinos would go through the Sun, give or take two orders of magnitude. Less than one in a million of them would interact with anything in the Sun, reactions that change anything (instead of just giving a particle a small kick) would be again orders of magnitude less common.
As comparison: The Sun produces about the same number of neutrinos, 1037, every second. It won't have any impact on the Sun at all.

Regarding flux, I find Dr. Sten Odenwald, NASA Astronomer writing in 2015, updated 2017:

SN 1987A produced a neutrino pulse of 10^58 neutrinos, which was reduced to only 24 detected on Earth due to the inverse-square law at the distance to SN1987A, and the fact that neutrinos interact very weekly with our detector matter. If we were to move this to Betelgeuse, we would get a pulse of 24(168,000/590)^2 = 2 million detected neutrinos!

I read his math to assume 590 is a ly distance to Betelgeuse, the 2 million count scaled with respect to what those original detectors 33 years ago would detect, and assuming the 10^58 figure for both SN 1987A and Betelgeuse.

I'm not sure how to figure what the local flux here would be - is that your 10^37 through the Sun?

I used a different approach but the result is the same: 4*1037 if we start with 1058 neutrinos. Simple geometry.

UW, March 6, 2020 - Dimming Betelgeuse likely isn’t cold, just dusty, new study shows
https://www.washington.edu/news/2020/03/06/dimming-betelgeuse-dust/
In a paper accepted to Astrophysical Journal Letters and published on the preprint site arXiv, Emily Levesque, a UW associate professor of astronomy, and Philip Massey, an astronomer with Lowell Observatory, report that observations of Betelgeuse taken Feb. 14 at the Flagstaff, Arizona, observatory allowed them to calculate the average surface temperature of the star. They discovered that Betelgeuse is significantly warmer than expected if the recent dimming were caused by a cooling of the star’s surface.

The new calculations lend support to the theory that Betelgeuse — as many red supergiant stars are prone to do — has likely sloughed off some material from its outer layers.

Betelgeuse Just Isn't That Cool: Effective Temperature Alone Cannot Explain the Recent Dimming of Betelgeuse
https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.10463

Likes Dragrath and OmCheeto
I hope it goes Nova in my lifetime. It would be sight to see. My grandmother used to tell me tales about Orion when I was kid.

zoki85 said:
I hope it goes Nova in my lifetime.

Unless you will live to be 2000, this is unlikely to happen.

Likes andrew s 1905
Vanadium 50 said:
Unless you will live to be 2000, this is unlikely to happen.
We hope for the best :smile:

Nature, June 16, 2021 - Great Dimming of Betelgeuse explained
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01526-6
Observations suggest that an unexpected dimming of the massive star Betelgeuse resulted from dust forming over a cold patch in the star’s southern hemisphere. This finding improves our understanding of such massive stars.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/betelgeuse-dust-cold-spell-why-giant-star-dimmed

But it seems this is old news -
Hubble Finds That Betelgeuse's Mysterious Dimming Is Due to a Traumatic Outburst
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...erious-dimming-is-due-to-a-traumatic-outburst
Observations by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope are showing that the unexpected dimming of the supergiant star Betelgeuse was most likely caused by an immense amount of hot material ejected into space, forming a dust cloud that blocked starlight coming from Betelgeuse's surface.

Likes Orodruin, sophiecentaur and BillTre
Likes sophiecentaur
The Times last Thursday reported:

"The “great dimming” of Betelgeuse can be attributed to the sudden formation of an opaque veil of stardust...

images captured by the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope, which is in the Atacama Desert of northern Chile, together with earlier pictures to show how the surface of the star was changing, particularly its southern region. The surface of Betelgeuse, which is about 643 light years from Earth, alters as vast bubbles of gas move, shrink and swell within the star. The scientists have concluded that some time before the great dimming, the star ejected a large gas bubble. When a patch of its surface cooled shortly afterwards, the temperature decrease was enough for heavier elements, such as silicon, that were contained within the gas to condense into solid particles.

...Andrea Dupree... discovered signs of dense, heated material moving through the star’s atmosphere in the months leading up to the great dimming... With Hubble, we could see the material as it left the star’s surface and moved out through the atmosphere, before the dust formed that caused the star to appear to dim,” Dupree said.

Once the gas bubble was millions of miles from the hot star, it cooled and formed a dust cloud. Betelgeuse returned to its normal brightness by April last year."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stardust-solves-puzzle-red-giant-betelgeuse-explained-v6mdnd3d8

• Sad
Likes Hamiltonian
epenguin said:
The Times last Thursday reported:

"The “great dimming” of Betelgeuse can be attributed to the sudden formation of an opaque veil of stardust...

images captured by the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope, which is in the Atacama Desert of northern Chile, together with earlier pictures to show how the surface of the star was changing, particularly its southern region. The surface of Betelgeuse, which is about 643 light years from Earth, alters as vast bubbles of gas move, shrink and swell within the star. The scientists have concluded that some time before the great dimming, the star ejected a large gas bubble. When a patch of its surface cooled shortly afterwards, the temperature decrease was enough for heavier elements, such as silicon, that were contained within the gas to condense into solid particles.

...Andrea Dupree... discovered signs of dense, heated material moving through the star’s atmosphere in the months leading up to the great dimming... With Hubble, we could see the material as it left the star’s surface and moved out through the atmosphere, before the dust formed that caused the star to appear to dim,” Dupree said.

Once the gas bubble was millions of miles from the hot star, it cooled and formed a dust cloud. Betelgeuse returned to its normal brightness by April last year."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stardust-solves-puzzle-red-giant-betelgeuse-explained-v6mdnd3d8
Isn’t this just a popularized account of what was already posted in #55?

epenguin said:
When a patch of its surface cooled shortly afterwards, the temperature decrease was enough for heavier elements, such as silicon, that were contained within the gas to condense into solid particles.
So we're sayin' ... it snowed.
Silicon.
On a star.

DaveC426913 said:
So we're sayin' ... it snowed.
Silicon.
On a star.
Well, why not? It's a funny old world out there and it seems that almost anything goes, if you look hard enough for it.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
epenguin said:
The scientists have concluded that some time before the great dimming, the star ejected a large gas bubble. When a patch of its surface cooled shortly afterwards, the temperature decrease was enough for heavier elements, such as silicon, that were contained within the gas to condense into solid particles.
This is an interesting piece that's not mentioned in other published summaries. I take the part about "before the great dimming, the star ejected a large gas bubble" to mean something like a CME, but it was still hot and transparent. Then "when a patch of its surface cooled shortly afterwards, the temperature decrease was enough for heavier elements, such as silicon, that were contained within the gas to condense into solid particles." But isn't it the ejected mass that cooled? Or did the outer surface cool?

In either event, cooling such that Si or perhaps SiO2 precipitated and condensed into dust particles, and perhaps Al2O3, or alumina-silicates.

There is this paper "A dusty veil shading Betelgeuse during its Great Dimming"
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03546-8