Big Bang From A Collision Of Protons?

In summary: I don't believe so, no.The point of the L.H.C is to find out what happened when the Big Back occurred.
Slashbe
I'm watching a documentary on the L.H.C and it struck me as odd when the narrator mentioned that the L.H.C. would be able to create the types of temperatures and pressures that were present at the big bang beginning.

I found it odd that two protons could recreate those conditions.

Space news on Phys.org
Obviously, it doesn't recreate all the conditions of the big bang. For example, as you point out, the number of protons is much smaller. But it does recreate some of them - the energy per collision, for example.

The point of the L.H.C is to find out what happened when the Big Back occurred.

As you might know, before the Big Bang the universe was infinitely dense and extremely warm, and when the universe "exploded", the universe quickly began to expand and cool.

The phenomenon of how and why the Big Bang occurred is very interesting, which is why we attempt to recreate it, but these come with some worst-case-scenario theories. Some of them are theories such as miniature Black Holes, instant mega storms, sudden desctruction of the planet etc. etc.

Division said:
but these come with some worst-case-scenario theories. Some of them are theories such as miniature Black Holes, instant mega storms, sudden desctruction of the planet etc. etc.

These are not theories. I suggest "fantasies" is closer to the truth.

Slashbe said:
I'm watching a documentary on the L.H.C and it struck me as odd when the narrator mentioned that the L.H.C. would be able to create the types of temperatures and pressures that were present at the big bang beginning.

Well, it recreates collisions earlier than we've ever recreated collisions before. But certainly it doesn't recreate collisions that happened right at the hottest point, which was during reheating as inflation ended.

Slashbe said:

O, your presentation will drive some particle physics guys crazy.Collider is just a collider, it is the toy that some guys who likes smashing things can make fun of. If you talk to some guy like Veltman (the dynamite prize laureate) about simulateing early universe in LHC, he will kick your *** maybe.Yes,I heard he talking about his willing to kick the *** of cosmo guys.

When they say "create the types of temperatures and pressures that were present at the big bang beginning"

What they really mean is:

- The big bang era was very high energy
- The LHC collisions are very high energy

This is the only "condition" replicated and really an LHC collision is not like the big bang at all. I really wish the press would not use the "big bang machine" analogy.

Coin said:
When they say "create the types of temperatures and pressures that were present at the big bang beginning"

What they really mean is:

- The big bang era was very high energy
- The LHC collisions are very high energy

This is the only "condition" replicated and really an LHC collision is not like the big bang at all. I really wish the press would not use the "big bang machine" analogy.
Well, it gets a little bit closer when they slam heavy metal nuclei together, as in that case they generate a quark-gluon plasma, which is the matter state that existed when the early universe was at very high temperatures. Of course, many current accelerators do this already, LHC will just go to higher energies.

Chalnoth said:
Well, it gets a little bit closer when they slam heavy metal nuclei together, as in that case they generate a quark-gluon plasma, which is the matter state that existed when the early universe was at very high temperatures. Of course, many current accelerators do this already, LHC will just go to higher energies.
Oh, that is interesting, thanks for the correction. But this will I take it not be happening in proton-proton collisions?

Coin said:
Oh, that is interesting, thanks for the correction. But this will I take it not be happening in proton-proton collisions?
I don't believe so, no.

Division said:
The point of the L.H.C is to find out what happened when the Big Back occurred.

Is it? It seems to me that this statement is taken from the general press, which tries to explain to people why they are building this machine. But I've never read or herd any scientist actually say that.

The statement doesn't even make sense.

Afaik, the LHC is built simply to push the limit of attainable energi in the hope that some 'new' (more massive) particles emerge. Primarirly the last particle missing in the standard model. The higgs. But also the hope is that it might be able to produce the superpartners and 'prove' supersymetri.

Most of what is written in the normal press about LHC is tabloid sensation style. Mostly because the journalists have no clue whatsoever what its all about, and need to explain why humans would use so much money on a machine no one understands.

So, i think humans will continue to build more powerfull accelerators every 50 years or so, but they will never be about trying to 'recreate the big bang'...

/Frederic

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that approximately 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into a single point of infinite density and temperature, known as a singularity. This singularity then rapidly expanded, creating the universe as we know it today.

2. How did the Big Bang happen?

The Big Bang is believed to have occurred when two protons collided with each other in an extremely high-energy event. This collision caused a massive explosion, releasing energy and matter into the universe. Over time, this matter cooled and condensed into galaxies, stars, and planets.

3. How do we know the Big Bang happened?

Scientists have gathered evidence from various sources, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the expansion of the universe, to support the Big Bang theory. Additionally, observations of distant galaxies and the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider have provided further evidence for the Big Bang.

4. What is the role of protons in the Big Bang?

Protons, along with neutrons and electrons, are the building blocks of atoms. During the Big Bang, the high-energy collision of protons was a crucial step in the creation of matter and energy in the universe. Without this collision, the universe as we know it would not exist.

5. What are the potential implications of the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its origins. It has helped scientists develop a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and has given us insights into the evolution of the cosmos. Additionally, the Big Bang theory has led to advancements in technology, such as the development of the Hubble Space Telescope, which has allowed us to explore the far reaches of the universe.