Did the big bang create something from nothing?

• B
  • Thread starter Lunct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the big bang never created something from nothing. George LeMaitre, who I think discovered to big bang, said that the universe had a beginning because if Hubble found that it is expanding, then it must have been smaller. Therefore it makes sense that the universe started of as a tiny point of infinite density, a singularity.
Lunct
A lot of people talk about the big bang, saying it created something from nothing - it is even used against the big bang. People say "it is impossible to create something from nothing." However, to my understanding, the big bang never created something from nothing. I have read it in many book and websites the the universe started of as an (arguably) infinitely dense point that contained everything, and that makes sense. George LeMaitre, who I think discovered to big bang, said that the universe had a beginning because if Hubble found that it is expanding, then it must have been smaller. Therefore it makes sense that the universe started of as a tiny point of infinite density, a singularity.

So why do most people seem to think the big bang created something from nothing. Is it some kind of pop science over simplification?

Likes laurenrayjohn
Space news on Phys.org
It's simply due to the fact that the big bang should be called the great expansion and not the big bang

thorbjorn said:
It's simply due to the fact that the big bang should be called the great expansion and not the big bang
I completely agree. I believe it in fact got that name from someone who was against the theory himself.

Nevertheless that does not alter the fact that the question "what happened before the big bang" remains unanswered, because in the end there had to be something created from nothing.

thorbjorn said:
because in the end there had to be something created from nothing.
why?

Both the notion that the Big Bang created something from nothing and the notion that a singularity is a point of infinite density are pop science over-simplifications.

A singularity is a feature of certain idealized models. Like the pole at x=0 in the graph of ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##. There is no point on the graph there. Talking about the state of the universe at the singularity is like asking about the height of that graph at x=0. It doesn't have one.

Likes Lunct
jbriggs444 said:
Both the notion that the Big Bang created something from nothing and the notion that a singularity is a point of infinite density are pop science over-simplifications.

A singularity is a feature of certain idealized models. Like the pole at x=0 in the graph of ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##. There is no point on the graph there. Talking about the state of the universe at the singularity is like asking about the height of that graph at x=0. It doesn't have one.
I understand.

Lunct said:
why?

Because although time is infinite, it is only infinite in one direction. Since space and time were created in the big bang there was no time before the big bang, (if we stick to the theory)

thorbjorn said:
Because although time is infinite, it is only infinite in one direction. Since space and time were created in the big bang there was no time before the big bang, (if we stick to the theory)
Might be wrong, but time was created in the big bang because time stops at a singularity because of the overwhelming gravity.

Likes Leo Authersh
Lunct said:
Might be wrong, but time was created in the big bang because time stops at a singularity because of the overwhelming gravity.

I do believe we are both talking about things we both do not fully comprehend so there is not point in this discussion.

Likes Lunct
Lunct said:
The phrase "time was created" tends to evoke a picture of some kind of time that includes a time before time. That's not really sensible.

In mathematics, the relevant notion is "geodesic incompleteness". Time-like geodesics come out of the neighborhood of the singularity without having gone in.

Likes Athena ashford and stoomart
It depends on your definition of 'nothing'. Well qualified scientists sometimes employ definitions that can be philosophically shocking.

Likes anorlunda
What really does 'nothing' mean?.
Something which has no dimensions, no mass, and no other properties isn't very interesting.

Last edited:
Lunct said:
A lot of people talk about the big bang, saying it created something from nothing - it is even used against the big bang. People say "it is impossible to create something from nothing."

This is conservation of energy. It is true only in theories with time translation symmetry. General Relativity is not such a theory: there are global solutions of GR equations which are not time-translation invariant.

In General Relativity, energy is conserved only locally (the law is valid in differential form, but not in integral one). In GR, it is not even possible to _define_ energy globally in an invariant way.

Likes jbriggs444
rootone said:
What really does 'nothing' mean?.
Something which has no dimensions, no mass, and no other properties isn't very interesting.
the human brain cannot comprehend nothing.

I would suggest that, unless one proceeds to specify a particular sort of nothingness, a discussion about the nature of "nothing" is either pure philosophy or a prescription for a long running television show.

A nothingness on the other side of a hypothetical point of discontinuity where differential equations fail to extrapolate is not something that is amenable to experiment.

thorbjorn said:
Since space and time were created in the big bang there was no time before the big bang, (if we stick to the theory)

How could time have a beginning? Something MUST have happened in order for the Big Bang to be created. Something MUST have been before the Big Bang. I do not believe that time had a start. However the theory of the Big Bang and the theory of Relativity both argue that the Big Bang has happened.

Lunct said:
A lot of people talk about the big bang, saying it created something from nothing - it is even used against the big bang. People say "it is impossible to create something from nothing." However, to my understanding, the big bang never created something from nothing. I have read it in many book and websites the the universe started of as an (arguably) infinitely dense point that contained everything, and that makes sense. George LeMaitre, who I think discovered to big bang, said that the universe had a beginning because if Hubble found that it is expanding, then it must have been smaller. Therefore it makes sense that the universe started of as a tiny point of infinite density, a singularity.

So why do most people seem to think the big bang created something from nothing. Is it some kind of pop science over simplification?

I share you opinion about the Big Bang not creating something from nothing.
How could nothingness create something?

Even if all the matter was infinitely dense, the matter must have come from somewhere. If it did, then physicists should have said that time started when all this matter was CREATED. Why did they not?
This is topic is very arguable.

Likes Lunct
Ivan Samsonov said:
If it did, then physicists should have said that time started when all this matter was CREATED. Why did they not?
We don't know what (if anything) happened before the Big Bang, so we cannot estimate the timeframe.

Comeback City said:
We don't know what (if anything) happened before the Big Bang, so we cannot estimate the timeframe.
Something MUST have happened before the Big Bang in order for the Big Bang to happen. If something must have happened, then something MUST have been there to make it happen. No?
This is an assumption, however.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Something MUST have happened before the Big Bang in order for the Big Bang to happen. If something must have happened, then something MUST have been there to make it happen. No?
This is an assumption, however.
I'm just speaking in science terms... that sounds a bit too philosophical for me. :bugeye:

Comeback City said:
I'm just speaking in science terms... that sounds a bit too philosophical for me. :bugeye:

Yeah, this is actually philosophy, not really science!

This is one of those things that's always busted my brain. If energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed, how'd it get here in the first place?

Please, anyone with a better understanding of QM than me (which is pretty much everyone on this forum), I'd love to know the answer to this. I've always seen it as sort of a physics paradox.

XZ923 said:
This is one of those things that's always busted my brain. If energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed, how'd it get here in the first place?
See #14 for one answer. Conservation of energy and matter is not actually an applicable principle of physics.

Another answer is that your question appears to assume that time is endless both into the future and into the past. But that assumption is unfounded.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Yeah, this is actually philosophy, not really science!

So this forum is not the right place to discuss it.

Likes Blank_Stare, Comeback City and jbriggs444
Ivan Samsonov said:
How could time have a beginning?

By spacetime having a geometry in which timelike curves have a finite extent into the past. Currently physicists don't know for sure whether that feature of idealized models based on GR actually applies to our universe; but the models themselves are perfectly consistent, and answer the question you pose here.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Something MUST have happened before the Big Bang in order for the Big Bang to happen

This, as you say, is an assumption. But it is not a necessary assumption, as there are consistent models in which it does not hold. See above.

The OP question has been sufficiently addressed. Thread closed.

1. What is the big bang theory?

The big bang theory is a scientific model that explains the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a single, incredibly dense and hot point, and has been expanding and cooling over billions of years.

2. Did the big bang create something from nothing?

The big bang theory does not address the concept of "something from nothing." It describes the expansion of the universe from a singularity, but does not attempt to explain the origin of that singularity.

3. Can something come from nothing?

This is a philosophical question that is not answered by the big bang theory or any other scientific theory. The laws of physics tell us that energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, so it is not possible for something to come from nothing.

4. What evidence supports the big bang theory?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the big bang theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observed expansion of the universe. These observations align with the predictions of the big bang theory.

5. Is the big bang the only theory for the origin of the universe?

The big bang theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported theory for the origin of the universe. However, there are other competing theories, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. These theories are still being researched and debated by scientists.