Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bill Hicks

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    He was a funny and witty man, but often he was too credulous towards pseudo-science theories from the works of Carl Jung and conspiracy theories such as JFK. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of his philosophies as a comedian/preacher. I've always enjoyed his comedy, but I disagree with his "unconditional loving god" theory.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    I love Bill Hicks, can't say I agree with everything he said, he did go a bit off with his anti-everything-ness sometimes and would up on the side of believing too much in conspiracies and magical stuff like you said. I personally don't think he was the sanest person on planet earth... but he was more sane than most, and had some good ideas, he just needed to calm down a bit and think them through a bit more.
  4. May 8, 2007 #3
    He certainly made you think. Especially his line of "what does it matter what I do as long as I don't harm another human being?" I paraphrased that, but that is certainly a line worth discussing philosophically.
  5. May 8, 2007 #4
    when I was in London, I found a paperback book with all of hicks standup, plus letters he wrote, as well as some songs and poetry. really amazing stuff. I love that guy. Although he isnt anywhere near as good in many ways, I find David Cross's standup to be similar.
  6. May 8, 2007 #5
    denis leary :!!) :!!) is way funnier !!!!!!!11 lol
  7. May 8, 2007 #6
  8. May 8, 2007 #7
    god no... denis leary is a hack
  9. May 8, 2007 #8
    I just looked up a quote that was brilliant with bill hicks about leary,

"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did."
  10. May 8, 2007 #9
    Hahah, I've never heard that one before, thats awesome.
  11. May 8, 2007 #10
    "When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children?"
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?