1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bill Hicks

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    He was a funny and witty man, but often he was too credulous towards pseudo-science theories from the works of Carl Jung and conspiracy theories such as JFK. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of his philosophies as a comedian/preacher. I've always enjoyed his comedy, but I disagree with his "unconditional loving god" theory.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    I love Bill Hicks, can't say I agree with everything he said, he did go a bit off with his anti-everything-ness sometimes and would up on the side of believing too much in conspiracies and magical stuff like you said. I personally don't think he was the sanest person on planet earth... but he was more sane than most, and had some good ideas, he just needed to calm down a bit and think them through a bit more.

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    He certainly made you think. Especially his line of "what does it matter what I do as long as I don't harm another human being?" I paraphrased that, but that is certainly a line worth discussing philosophically.

5. May 8, 2007 #4
    when I was in London, I found a paperback book with all of hicks standup, plus letters he wrote, as well as some songs and poetry. really amazing stuff. I love that guy. Although he isnt anywhere near as good in many ways, I find David Cross's standup to be similar.

6. May 8, 2007 #5
    denis leary :!!) :!!) is way funnier !!!!!!!11 lol

7. May 8, 2007 #6
    seriously?

8. May 8, 2007 #7
    god no... denis leary is a hack

9. May 8, 2007 #8
    I just looked up a quote that was brilliant with bill hicks about leary,

"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did."

10. May 8, 2007 #9
    Hahah, I've never heard that one before, thats awesome.

11. May 8, 2007 #10
    "When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?