1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding Energy of the hydrogenic acceptor state in Silicon?

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the theoretical binding energy of the hydrogenic acceptor state in Si (eg, as produced by Aluminum impurities), using hole mass 0.39 and permittivity 11.8.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]
    E_b = \frac{k_c e^2}{2a_0} \\
    a_0 = \frac{\hbar ^2}{mk_c e^2}
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    When we discussed binding energy in my class, these were the two equations that my professor gave. But looking at them now, I don't think they are right. For one thing, they don't take the permittivity into account and for another, a0 seems to cancel out several variables in Eb. I've searched around for some time trying to find the equation(s) that would make more sense for this type of problem, but have so far had nothing but dead ends. Is anyone familiar with the equations for a problem like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ke means 1/(4∏ε) in a medium of permittivity ε.

No variables cancel if you plug in the expression for ao into the formula for the energy.

ehild

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3
    Oh, yeah. How could I forget about that? That's pretty basic. :-/

This is probably why it's a bad idea for me to do homework without sleeping for the majority of the day.

Thanks for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted