Binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1)

In summary, the expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1) in ascending powers of x is 1 - (1/x) + (1/x^2) - (1/x^3) with a range of values of x < -1 or x > 1.
Appleton
Expand the following functions as a series of ascending powers of x up to and including the term x^3. In each case give the range of values of x for which the expansion is valid.

(1+(1/x))^(-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

1 + (-1)(1/x) + (-1)(-2)(1/x^2)/2 + (-1)(-2)(-3)(1/x^3)/3!
= 1 - (1/x) + (1/x^2) - (1/x^3)
-1< 1/x <1
x<-1 and x>1

Which is invalid, but I can't see why. The way I deduced the ranges of values of x wasn't very rigorous so I suspect that might have something to do with it.

]

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:
Expand the following functions as a series of ascending powers of x up to and including the term x^3. In each case give the range of values of x for which the expansion is valid.

(1+(1/x))^(-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

1 + (-1)(1/x) + (-1)(-2)(1/x^2)/2 + (-1)(-2)(-3)(1/x^3)/3!
= 1 - (1/x) + (1/x^2) - (1/x^3)
-1< 1/x <1
x<-1 and x>1

Which is invalid, but I can't see why. The way I deduced the ranges of values of x wasn't very rigorous so I suspect that might have something to do with it.

]

You were asked for ascending powers of ##x ##, that is, for the series in terms of ##x, x^2, x^3, \ldots##. Instead, you gave descending powers ##1/x =x^{-1}, 1/x^2 = x^{-2}, 1/x^3 = x^{-3}, \ldots##.

Thank you, I get it now

What is the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1)?

The binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1) is a mathematical formula used to expand a binomial expression with a negative exponent. It is also known as the negative binomial expansion.

What is the purpose of using the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1)?

The binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1) is used to simplify complex equations involving binomials with negative exponents. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of these equations.

What is the general form of the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1)?

The general form of the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1) is: (1+(1/x))^(-1) = 1 - (1/x) + (1/x)^2 - (1/x)^3 + ... + (-1)^n(1/x)^n.

How many terms are there in the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1)?

There are an infinite number of terms in the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1). However, for practical purposes, a finite number of terms can be calculated based on the desired level of accuracy.

How do you use the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1) to calculate a specific term?

To calculate a specific term in the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-1), you can use the formula: (-1)^n(1/x)^n, where n is the desired term number. For example, to calculate the 5th term, n=5, and the formula would be (-1)^5(1/x)^5.