Biomass gasification unit vs biomass combustion unit

In summary, the conversation is about comparing the combined production of electricity and heat from a biomass gasification unit and a biomass combustion unit for a diploma thesis. The speaker is looking for data or papers to compare the two technologies using multi-criteria analysis, including installation and operating costs, required surface area, and environmental impact. The speaker has already found information on the installation and operating costs of a gasification unit, as well as a document outlining various biomass conversion technologies. They have also found a thesis and a report on biomass CHP.
ludovick2013
Good morning to all of you. For my diploma thesis I have to compare the combined production of electricity and heat from a biomass gasification unit and from a biomass combustion unit. So I would like to ask you if you know data or refer me to papers so that I can compare these 2 technologies with multi-criteria analysis. For example, which is the installation cost of each technology, which is the operating cost of each technology, what surface needs each technology, which percentage of atmospheric pollutants emits each technology and everything else you believe that it must be in the multi-criteria analysis. I have chosen a gasification unit which produces 180 KW electrical energy and 270 kw thermal energy. Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. What have you found so far in your Google searching?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. What have you found so far in your Google searching?
Thank you. For the moment only that the cost of installation a gasification unit for power and heat generation ranges between 4100 - 4500 € / kWe. And the operating costs for the gasification unit.

I'd "diploma thesis" high school or college level?

1. What is the difference between a biomass gasification unit and a biomass combustion unit?

A biomass gasification unit converts solid biomass materials into a gas mixture through a thermochemical process, while a biomass combustion unit burns solid biomass directly to produce heat or electricity.

2. Which unit is more efficient in terms of energy production?

Biomass gasification units are generally more efficient than biomass combustion units, as they can convert a larger portion of the biomass into usable energy. However, the efficiency can vary depending on the specific design and operating conditions of each unit.

3. Are there any environmental benefits to using a biomass gasification unit over a biomass combustion unit?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using a biomass gasification unit. These include reduced emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants, as well as the potential for carbon sequestration through the use of biomass feedstocks.

4. Can both units be used for the same types of biomass?

Both biomass gasification units and biomass combustion units can use a variety of biomass feedstocks, including wood, agricultural residues, and energy crops. However, the specific type and size of the biomass may affect the efficiency and performance of each unit.

5. Which unit is more cost-effective?

The cost-effectiveness of a biomass gasification unit vs a biomass combustion unit can vary depending on factors such as the size and type of biomass, the location and availability of feedstocks, and the specific design and operation of each unit. In general, biomass gasification units tend to be more expensive to install and operate, but may have a longer lifespan and higher energy efficiency in the long run.