Biphasics sleep patterns in pre-industrial England/Europe

In summary, BBC's article discusses the lost practice of bi-phasic sleep in pre-industrial England and Europe, as well as its natural occurrence in other animals. Historian Roger Ekirch's book, At Day's Close: A History of Nighttime, explains how this sleep pattern allowed for intimate conversations and physical intimacy between bedfellows. The article also mentions how bi-phasic sleep may have contributed to the conception of children and how it has been portrayed in science fiction literature. The conversation delves into personal experiences and theories about bi-phasic sleep, including its potential link to creativity and the possibility of it being inherited. While some consider it a form of insomnia or sleep disorder, others believe it is not a problem as long as
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
BBC has an interesting article on sleep patterns in pre-industrial England and Europe, and it seems natural in other animals.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep

Historian Roger Ekirch "explains in his book, At Day's Close: A History of Nighttime, people would often just stay in bed and chat. And during those strange twilight hours, bedfellows could share a level of informality and casual conversation that was hard to achieve during the day.For husbands and wives who managed to navigate the logistics of sharing a bed with others, it was also a convenient interval for physical intimacy – if they'd had a long day of manual labour, the first sleep took the edge off their exhaustion and the period afterwards was thought to be an excellent time to conceive copious numbers of children."

I wonder about that in the context of some of my ancestors, especially where the father is unknown, and the offspring have the mother's family name.

Science news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
BBC has an interesting article on sleep patterns in pre-industrial England and Europe, and it seems natural in other animals.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep

Historian Roger Ekirch "explains in his book, At Day's Close: A History of Nighttime, people would often just stay in bed and chat. And during those strange twilight hours, bedfellows could share a level of informality and casual conversation that was hard to achieve during the day.For husbands and wives who managed to navigate the logistics of sharing a bed with others, it was also a convenient interval for physical intimacy – if they'd had a long day of manual labour, the first sleep took the edge off their exhaustion and the period afterwards was thought to be an excellent time to conceive copious numbers of children."

I wonder about that in the context of some of my ancestors, especially where the father is unknown, and the offspring have the mother's family name.
For those interested in bi-phasic sleep and its effect on culture and who enjoy reading science fiction novels, consider "The Second Sleep" by English novelist Robert Harris.

While many of Harris's novels set in the past, "Second Sleep" occurs ~800 years in a future rural England. The protagonist, an educated priest, describes and chronicles two part sleep patterns where the person goes to bed at dark; sleeps for a few hours; wakes for a few hours of reading, study, perhaps a light meal; then returns to bed to sleep until dawn. IMS this fictional society does not include electric lights so that dark night retains more significance than in our culture. The character's profession precludes overt sexuality but there is a housekeeper.

While not a major novel, I was intrigued by the concept of two-stage sleep. I often wake a few hours into a night's sleep. I think "second sleep" and reach for a good book or review what I have read during the day.

Likes rsk
My mom was a bi-phasic sleeper, and my wife and I wonder if that was somehow inherited. We also wonder if that contributed to onset of dementia late in life.

Somewhere, I have a book entitled "Wide Awake at 3 am". It was about creativity.

The phenomenon is considered a form of insomnia or some kind of sleep disorder in modern times.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-do-you-always-wake-up-at-3-a-m/
https://www.healthline.com/health/sleep/why-do-i-keep-waking-up-at-3-am
https://thesleepcharity.org.uk/why-do-you-keep-waking-up-at-3am/

If it is related to stress or anxiety, and it adversely affects restful sleep, then it is a disorder. Otherwise, if one awakes after Second Sleep fully rested, it should not be a problem.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau did all of his writing at 4am.

Astronuc said:
My mom was a bi-phasic sleeper, and my wife and I wonder if that was somehow inherited. We also wonder if that contributed to onset of dementia late in life.

<snip>
If it is related to stress or anxiety, and it adversely affects restful sleep, then it is a disorder. Otherwise, if one awakes after Second Sleep fully rested, it should not be a problem.
My mother also experienced bi-phasic sleep; often dozing as Dad fell asleep early, then reading in bed until 0300, rising 4 to 6 hours later. She experienced little, if any, dementia in old age. Mom told stories of her grandmother sleeping ~4 hours a night then rising early to clean her entire house well into her 90's.

Rather than dementia, we noticed a relation between 'second sleep' and dream intensity and retention.

Klystron said:
dream intensity and retention
I think getting into a deep restful sleep, with dreaming and retention are key.

Likes Klystron

1. What is a biphasic sleep pattern?

A biphasic sleep pattern is a type of sleep schedule in which a person sleeps in two distinct phases, typically during the night and in the afternoon. This is in contrast to a monophasic sleep pattern, where a person sleeps for one continuous period at night.

2. Was biphasic sleep common in pre-industrial England/Europe?

Yes, biphasic sleep was a common practice in pre-industrial England and Europe. People would typically sleep for a few hours at night, wake up for a period of time, and then sleep again for a few more hours. This was due to factors such as the lack of artificial lighting and the need for people to tend to their farms or other duties during the day.

3. Did everyone in pre-industrial England/Europe follow a biphasic sleep pattern?

No, not everyone followed a biphasic sleep pattern in pre-industrial England and Europe. Some people, such as those living in urban areas or those with more sedentary jobs, may have followed a monophasic sleep pattern. Additionally, social status and cultural norms may have also influenced sleep patterns.

4. What are the benefits of a biphasic sleep pattern?

Some potential benefits of a biphasic sleep pattern include increased alertness and productivity during waking hours, as well as improved overall sleep quality. Additionally, taking a short nap during the day can help to reduce feelings of fatigue and improve cognitive function.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to a biphasic sleep pattern?

One potential drawback of a biphasic sleep pattern is that it may not align with modern work and school schedules, making it difficult for individuals to maintain. Additionally, some people may find it challenging to fall back asleep after waking up in the middle of the night, leading to disrupted sleep patterns.

Back