Biracial Identity: Race in Society - Understanding Black Override

• Thread starter Tungamirai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race
In summary, because race is often based on physical features, biracial people who have one African parent or who are decadent are considered black by most people. This is in spite of the fact that they may look nothing like most blacks. This is because historically, racism has accounted for the bias against these people. However, affirmative action has attempted to correct this bias, and the color lines are becoming more blurred as time goes on.
Tungamirai
Why are biracial people who have one African parent or decadent always considered black. why does black seem to override all other races

Physics news on Phys.org
Tungamirai said:
Why are biracial people who have one African parent or decadent always considered black. why does black seem to override all other races
In biracial children, race is usually assigned by predominant features. If a person that is considered white has a child with someone considered Asian, and the child looks predominatly Asian, then they are usually considered Asian. But racial lines are blurring. The US census allows people to pick their race and ethnicity. I dated a guy whose father was irish and his mother was Japanese. He really had no Japanese features, so he claimed to be white only.

Tungamirai said:
Tiger Woods would disagree with your premise.

Evo said:
If a person that is considered white has a child with someone considered Asian, and the child looks predominatly Asian, then they are usually considered Asian.

What does "looks" mean. My daughter has the skin and eye colour of her South Asian mother, and her hair colour is very close to her mother's hair colour, but my daughter's facial (and some other physical) features are similar to mine. Despite the different colourings, most people can immediately see that my daughter "looks" like me.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
What does "looks" mean. My daughter has the skin and eye colour of her South Asian mother, and her hair colour is very close to her mother's hair colour, but my daughter's facial (and some other physical) features are similar to mine. Despite the different colourings, most people can immediately see that my daughter "looks" like me.
That's what I am saying. You can now decide which 'race' you wish to claim, or other, or multiple, or whatever.

Historically racism accounted for the bias initially. A hundred years ago, if you had as little as 1/16 black heritage you were not considered "white anymore."

Today it's reverse racism in the form of affirmative action that keeps this notion going, though justifiably so according to what our society has decided about it as a remedy.

Today you get advantages in terms of education and employment or social welfare benefits by checking the box next to Black. I know that the same historical proportion 1/16 applies to whether you are considered native American or not on a financial aid application. Probably being black is still a 1/16th proposition for such purposes.

Tungamirai said:

Without wanting to fall into stereotypes, biracial people who have 1 black parent usually hang out more with blacks and behave more like blacks do, so people consider them black.

Evo said:
That's what I am saying. You can now decide which 'race' you wish to claim, or other, or multiple, or whatever.

I think that's accurate.

Tungamirai said:

I think, in part, this goes back to the European colonization of the Americas, and the different ways those European cultures treated other races.
The Spanish, who colonized Latin America, had more of a mind to integrate and assimilate the indigenous population. They established categories and concepts for people who were of mixed ancestry, and they were more likely to think that someone with a substantial portion of "white" (Spanish European) blood was "white."
The English, on the other hand, who dominated the region that is now the United States, believed much more firmly in segregation. There have even been laws forbidding the mixing of different people.
These attitudes were carried over onto the Africans who were brought over as slaves.
In order to accommodate white, male slave owners having sex with female, black slaves, and ensuring that the offspring would have slave status, any black was seen as black, and having a black mother meant the offspring was black. (Whereas if a white woman gave birth to a black child it meant bad news for everyone involved)

Now, of course, all this has been changing (thankfully), and the color lines are becoming blurred.

But I think that your question can be somewhat answered (especially if the context is the U.S.) if you look back at the English colonizers, their attitudes toward non-white races, their customs established around slavery, and how these lines of thought can be carried over by certain generations and institutions into the present.

Related to Biracial Identity: Race in Society - Understanding Black Override

1. What is biracial identity?

Biracial identity refers to the ethnic and racial identity of individuals who have parents from two different racial backgrounds. This can include individuals who have one Black parent and one parent from a different racial background.

2. How does society view biracial individuals?

Society's view of biracial individuals varies, but they often face unique challenges and discrimination due to their mixed racial background. They may also experience pressure to choose one racial identity over the other, leading to feelings of confusion and alienation.

3. What is the concept of "black override" in biracial identity?

"Black override" is a term used to describe the societal pressure for biracial individuals to identify as Black, even if they have a mixed racial background. This is due to the historical and ongoing discrimination against Black individuals in society.

4. How does biracial identity impact an individual's sense of self?

Biracial identity can have a significant impact on an individual's sense of self. They may struggle with feeling like they don't fully fit into either racial group. This can lead to feelings of confusion, isolation, and a search for a sense of belonging.

5. What can be done to promote a more inclusive and understanding society for biracial individuals?

To promote a more inclusive and understanding society for biracial individuals, it is important to acknowledge and celebrate the diversity within the Black community, including those who identify as biracial. This can include creating space for conversations about biracial identity, challenging societal norms and stereotypes, and promoting acceptance and inclusion of all racial identities.