Birthday Problem (At most 3 share a birthday)

• Thread starter TaliskerBA
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have started a course on probability and the lecturer, after explaining how to work out the classic problem of the likelihood that at least 2 people share a birthday out of a field of N people (which I understood fine), issued the challenge of working out what the probability of at most 3 people sharing a birthday (out of N people) is. I have had a think about this and am at a loss at how to work this out. Can anyone offer any advice about how to tackle this problem?

Thanks,

Talisker

Answers and Replies

I have started a course on probability and the lecturer, after explaining how to work out the classic problem of the likelihood that at least 2 people share a birthday out of a field of N people (which I understood fine), issued the challenge of working out what the probability of at most 3 people sharing a birthday (out of N people) is. I have had a think about this and am at a loss at how to work this out. Can anyone offer any advice about how to tackle this problem?

Thanks,

Talisker
The probability that at most two people share a birthday would be:

P(no people share birthday) + P(exactly 1 pair of people share a birthday) + P(exactly 2 pairs of people share different birthdays) + ...

To get at most 3 people share a birthday just extend this to get:

[tex]\text{P(no people share birthday)} + \sum_{i=1}^{N/2} \text{P(exactly i pairs of people share different birthdays)} + \sum_{i=1}^{N/3} \text{P(exactly i triples of people share different birthdays)}[/tex]

Thanks,

Talisker
It could be solved recursively in terms of N. In solving the original problem the lecturer would have (implicitly at least) kept track of the number of days with 0 or 1 birthdays as one more person is added to the group. Same idea applies for the new problem, but including the number of days with 2 or 3 birthdays as well. There's more combinations to consider here but really it's a finite-state Markov chain so in principle the solution could be written as a matrix product.