1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Black hole mass and sigma (velocity dispersion)

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1
    It seemed to have been asked before, but I am still a bit confused.

How is the velocity dispersion formed? Doesn't the evidence of dark matter tells us that the orbital speed is uniform in a galaxy?
    Is there a direction of dispersion? (e. g velocity gets larger to the core)
    And why does velocity dispersion has a positive relation with the bh mass?

It would be great if not much mathematics is needed to explain this. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2017 #2
    I am pretty sure that orbital speed is not constant regardless of dark matter. Velocity dispersion is how much the velocities of different stars differ from one another. It shows up as Doppler shifts, blue and red, which mean invidiual spectral lines become broader.

Supermassive blackholes at the centre of galaxies would cause the stars in their vicinity to have very fast orbital rates. The faster these orbital rates the greater the velocity dispersion. The bigger the black hole, the greater its pull and so one would expect the stars (and gas) in the vicinity to be orbiting faster, no? I could have got this wrong. I would like to hear what someone more experienced than myself has to say. Cheers

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is reversing the logic. We observe the orbital speeds and infer the existence of dark matter from that.

The orbital velocities very close to the central black hole are very large, but then they quickly drop within a few parsec as the central mass stays the same but the distance increases. Then they have a minimum somewhere, and then rise again slower over a few kiloparsec as the mass from stars close to the galactic center becomes relevant. Over even larger distances, dark matter gets dominant and the rotation speed stays constant or increases/decreases slowly (where we would expect a drop for regular matter alone).

At places where dark matter is relevant the central black hole is irrelevant and vice versa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted