Black holes swallow space and time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fascination with black holes and the possible answers they hold in the field of physics. It is mentioned that according to Einstein, nothing can go faster than the speed of light, but black holes have the ability to trap even light. This leads to the question of whether the gravity created by a fall into a black hole travels faster than the speed of light. The concept of black holes swallowing space and time is also introduced, which could explain why even light cannot escape. This could potentially lead to a new theory for the end of the world. The conversation ends with the suggestion to read more and ask specific questions for a better understanding.
mickael alain
I have always been fascinated by black holes
And I am sure that all the answers in physics are hidden in black holes...
According to Einstein nothing can go faster than the speed of light, but nothing can escape black holes not even the light.
Would it mean that the gravity resulting by a fall, actually go faster than the speed of light, then whatever falls in would reach a higher speed than the speed of light. Which is just impossible.
Would it be possible that black holes, at the opposite of white holes who are actually creating space and time, swallow space and time.
That would be an explanation why even the light cannot escape a black hole.
That would lead us to a new theory for the end of our world which would be that black holes will swallow all our space time once they get big enough.

Let me know if I am mistaken.

Thank you for reading.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mickael alain said:
Let me know if I am mistaken.

You are.
However, there are a bunch of threads here about what does happen when you fall into a black hole and how the speed of light is related to falling in and not getting out (one big hint: Never ever ever speak about any speed without saying what it is relative to).

This thread is closed, but if you read some more and post more specific questions, we'll be better able to help explain things.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space that has an incredibly strong gravitational pull. This pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. Black holes are formed when a large star dies and collapses in on itself.

How does a black hole swallow space and time?

The intense gravitational pull of a black hole warps the fabric of space and time, causing objects and light to be pulled towards it. Once an object crosses the event horizon (the point of no return), it gets pulled into the black hole and is unable to escape. This means that space and time are essentially consumed by the black hole.

What happens to objects that get pulled into a black hole?

When an object gets pulled into a black hole, it is stretched and compressed by the strong gravitational forces. This process is known as spaghettification. As the object gets closer to the center of the black hole, it eventually reaches the singularity - a point of infinite density and zero volume. At this point, the laws of physics as we know them break down.

Can anything ever escape from a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. However, some theories suggest that tiny particles called Hawking radiation can escape from a black hole, but this has not yet been proven.

Do black holes ever die?

Black holes do not die in the traditional sense, but they can slowly evaporate over time due to Hawking radiation. This process is extremely slow, and it would take trillions of years for a black hole to completely evaporate. However, since new matter is constantly being pulled into black holes, they are essentially immortal.