Black Powder Combustion: Balanced Chemical Equations with State Symbols

  • Thread starter Thread starter Orion78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Powder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Orion78
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I have to write two balanced chemical equations for two reactions, including the state symbols.

By knowing that Black Powder is a mixture of solid potassium nitrate (KNO3), sulfur (S) powder and carbon (C), in the form of charcoal, one possible reaction occurring during the combustion of black powder is the breaking down (decomposition) of potassium nitrate to form solid potassium oxide, nitrogen gas and oxygen gas:

I wrote:
2KNO3 (s) + S (s) + C (s) K2O (s) + 2N (g) + 3O2 (g) + S (s) + C (s)

Another possible reaction occurring during the combustion of black powder is a reaction between potassium nitrate, sulfur and carbon to produce solid potassium sulfide, nitrogen gas and carbon dioxide gas:

I wrote:
2KNO3 (s) + S (s) + 3C (s) K2S (s) + 2N (g) + 3CO2 (g)

The equations are balanced but I am not sure about the state symbols. Can I have a confirm about it? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org