Blood moon Total Eclipse tonight!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
This will be the first total lunar eclipse of 2014. Unlike a total eclipse of the sun, which often requires a long journey to the path of totality, an eclipse of the moon can usually be observed from one's own backyard. The passage of the moon through the Earth's shadow is equally visible from all places within the hemisphere where the moon is above the horizon.
http://www.space.com/25487-total-lunar-eclipse-blood-moon-brightness.html

Answers and Replies

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For me, partial eclipse starts at 10:59 pm, totality at 12:08 am.

It was sunny when I walked my grade 2 daughter to school this morning, so I demonstrated what is going to happen. I told her that I was the Earth and that she was the Moon, and I stood so that my shadow fell on her. She wants me to get her up to see it. She said "If I won't get up, tickle me until I do!"

Evo
Mentor
For me, partial eclipse starts at 10:59 pm, totality at 12:08 am.

It was sunny when I walked my grade 2 daughter to school this morning, so I demonstrated what is going to happen. I told her that I was the Earth and that she was the Moon, and I stood so that my shadow fell on her. She wants me to get her up to see it. She said "If I won't get up, tickle me until I do!"
Aw, how sweet!! You've got a little scientist there. I can't believe how fast she's growing up!

Evo
Mentor
I forgot to say this is mostly in North America.

:frown:

TumblingDice
Gold Member
It will also be the first of four, a 'tetrad', to occur about every six months in 2014 and 2015. Interesting factoid, there were no blood moon tetrads between the years 1600 and 1900. :bugeye:

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
People who say that omit to say that there several during the 1900s and there will be several more this century and in the next.

TumblingDice
Gold Member
People who say that omit to say that there several during the 1900s and there will be several more this century and in the next.
I guess I shouldn't mind being characterized as "people who say that." :wink:

You're right, of course. I think that's a part of what makes the three-century gap so significant.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Lunar Eclipse Time!!

Lunar Eclipse, starting now!!!

Go outside and gaze at as I pull a magic trick and make the Moon disappear right before your eyes!

First time seeing one... I've got visual on it right now... and it looks awesome!! :!!)

I hope to see the so called "red" in a few more minutes. :biggrin:

cjl
Science Advisor
First time seeing one... I've got visual on it right now... and it looks awesome!! :!!)

I hope to see the so called "red" in a few more minutes. :biggrin:
It'll probably be more like half an hour until that happens...

Last edited:
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OMG Give me back my moon! ._.

wukunlin
Gold Member
yuck, clouds are way too thick in Auckland

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Nice here. Totality is over now.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I got these (pretty crappy) photos from my rooftop in the middle of Hollywood:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68669&stc=1&d=1397552441.png

It was impossible to see the color with my eyes, due to the light pollution, but the camera picked it up. These shots were done with DSLR + 180mm lens + 2x teleconverter + nice tripod. I wish I had a telescope, I could probably get much nicer shots that way.

Attachments

Likes 1 person
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That was nice. Clear sky where I am. Totality finished a little while ago. Still celebrating, however.

[Edit: Awesome shots Ben!]

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nothing but clouds here. I'm glad that there will be other opportunities.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, I didn't manage to see the whole thing, as I have work today and had to sleep, but I managed to catch the beginning of the eclipse and some of the totality. My first lunar eclipse ever!!

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
totally rained out in Sydney :frown:

well done Drak :smile:

lost count of how many I have seen and photo'ed over the years

Dave

Evo
Mentor
Great shots Ben! Thank you!

jtbell
Mentor
Unfortunately it was overcast with showers here last night, so I didn't try to wake up to see the eclipse. Maybe I'll have better luck with the next one.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was able to get up and snap this with my little point-and-shoot. Not even comparable to Ben's photo though.

CgJ0NzU.jpg

Likes 1 person
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It was impossible to see the color with my eyes, due to the light pollution, but the camera picked it up.
You may have given up waiting too soon. You don't see the full effect with the naked eye until you completely lose the bright crescent in your last picture. A camera can deal with the huge range of brightness better than your eyes can.

Nice Pics Ben. But just think, you have three more possible do over dates in the next two years.