Blue-grey color morph in a green frog (Rana clamitans)

  • Thread starter Thread starter DocToxyn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 24K views
Science Advisor
Messages
425
Reaction score
0
Thought you guys might like to see a pic of my son's new roommate. He's a green frog, Rana clamitans, but this one is curiously blue-grey, a rare, but previously-observed color morph. His name is Sam and he loves his crickets. I have included a shot of a "regular" green frog for comparison.
 
Attachments
  • bluesam.jpg
    bluesam.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 590
  • greenfrog.jpg
    greenfrog.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 541
Biology news on Phys.org
Just how cute can a frog be? What a great little friend to have. It looks like a precious gem.
 
Oooh, he's very pretty, did you find him?
 
Those legs sure look tasty! :approve:
 
Interesting little bugger, isn't it?

And I thought it was going to be one of these:

imagesFROG%20005%20Blue%20dart%20frog.jpg
 
arildno said:
Those legs sure look tasty! :approve:
:confused: To small, not even a good mouthful.

I get the sense that you will eat anything.
 
Skyhunter said:
:confused: To small, not even a good mouthful.

I get the sense that you will eat anything.
No; not slime molds.
 
Last edited:
brewnog said:
And I thought it was going to be one of these:
This one looks like it has the temperment of a shark.
 
arildno said:
No; not slime molds.
Believe it or not, those plasmodiums don't taste much difference from green jello! :-p
 
Evo said:
Oooh, he's very pretty, did you find him?

Yes, he was one of twenty frogs that we collected in the window wells around our apartment one day. We released the others, but kept Sam. He now lives with Thomas, my newt, in a half-water, half-land terrarium.
 
brewnog said:
Interesting little bugger, isn't it?

And I thought it was going to be one of these:

Ahh, Dendrobates azureus, a fine species and very nice color, but not generally found in Upstate NY.
 
Last edited:
I love frogs. My pond attracts themin great numbers, and they breed every year.
Took a photo of one hiding in a tube a while back:
DSCI0040.jpg
 
we don't get many frogs here in Scottsdale... :frown:
 
DocToxyn said:
Ahh, Dendrobates azureus, a fine species and very nice color, but not generally found in Upstate NY.

but poisonous, no? :rolleyes: