Books Famous Scientists Studied From

In summary, the conversation discussed various influential mathematicians and the books that influenced them. These books include SL Loney's Trigonometry and GS Carr's A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics for Srinivasa Ramanujan, Hall & Knight's Higher Algebra for SS Chern, Legendre's Number Theory Treatise for Bernard Riemann, Georg Joos' Theoretical Physics for Freeman Dyson, Calculus Made Easy by J E Thompson and Advanced Calculus by Woods for Richard Feynman, A Course of Modern Analysis by Whittaker and Watson for Lars Onsager, Mathematics for the Million by Lancelot Hogben for many mathematicians, and Mathematics from the Birth of Numbers by Jan Gull
Humanlimits
Hey, I haven't seen a thread on this topic, so I figured I should start it. Hopefully others can contribute!

Srinivasa Ramanujan - SL Loney, Trigonometry & GS Carr, A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics
SS Chern - Hall & Knight, Higher Algebra
Bernard Riemann - Legendre's Number Theory Treatise

Freeman Dyson - Georg Joos, Theoretical Physics
Richard Feynman - S Thompson, Calculus Made Easy & Woods, Advanced Calculus

Physics news on Phys.org
Lars Onsager - Whittaker and Watson, A Course of Modern Analysis

Humanlimits said:
Richard Feynman - S Thompson, Calculus Made Easy & Woods, Advanced Calculus

In my original post, I made a mistake. I believe Feynman first learned calculus from J E Thompson, Calculus For The Practical Man, not S Thompson, Calculus Made Easy. He then moved onto Woods, Advanced Calculus.

Many folks were influenced by Lancelot Hogben's Mathematics for the Million: How to Master the Magic of Numbers (1936) book.

and some future mathematicians by Jan Gullberg's book: Mathematics from the Birth of Numbers

and when I was a kid the Instant Math book by the Cutler's on Trachtenberg Math system really got me fascinated with numbers. It was just magic.

1. What is the importance of studying books from famous scientists?

Studying books from famous scientists allows us to gain knowledge and insights from the experts in their fields. It also allows us to understand the evolution of scientific theories and concepts.

2. How do books from famous scientists contribute to the advancement of science?

Books from famous scientists often contain groundbreaking research and discoveries, which can lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields of science.

3. What are some famous books written by scientists?

Some famous books written by scientists include "On the Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Double Helix" by James D. Watson.

4. How can books from famous scientists inspire future generations?

Books from famous scientists serve as a source of inspiration for future generations of scientists. They showcase the dedication, passion, and hard work required to make groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in science.

5. Are books from famous scientists still relevant in modern times?

Yes, books from famous scientists are still relevant in modern times. While some theories and concepts may have been disproven or modified, the foundational knowledge and principles remain essential in understanding current scientific research and advancements.