Boulder falling from cliff: last 1/3 of fall takes 1.5 seconds

  • Thread starter Thread starter accesskb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confusing Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
accesskb
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I've spent a long time and wasted lots of paper on this question. It might be very easy to do but I have tried/used every one of the motion formulas and don't seem to get a right answer. This is one of those challenge question that our teacher has given us. He hasn't worked out the answer himself yet but one of the student who was able to get it says the answer is about 172.5m

Please could help me out with this Motion problem. Appreciate all the help. thnx

A hiker sees a boulder drop from the top of a cliff and notices that it takes 1.5seconds for the boulder to fall the last 1/3 of the way to the ground. What is the height of the cliff (in meters)?

here is a rough pic I drew:
http://www.clubbersnation.com/math/physics_problem.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thnks Ambitwistor for the explanation :)
I have never tried any problems like this before. I shall work it out now. :smile:
 
My answer is about 356m. There's no difference between my solution and Ambitwistor's .


LTK
 
Luong tu Khanhwrote
My answer is about 356m. There's no difference between my solution and Ambitwistor's .

Looks like a difference of 29 meters to me! I get Ambitwistor's answer (well, actually I get 327.7 m which I would round to 328).