Brane Movement Causing Gravity

In summary, a moving brane could provide a model for why matter curves space-time. I made a drawing depicting how this would work which I think is better than I can explain in words.
-Job-
Science Advisor
In trying to fathom why matter would curve space-time, i realized a moving brane may offer a neat model of this. I made a drawing depicting how this would work which i think is better than i can explain in words. Don't take this too seriously, if you don't think it works just point out what you think is wrong and i'll move on to better things, there's no need for yelling or insulting, I'm not a stubborn person and i'll probably agree with you fast enough.
http://www.bloo.us/branegrav.gif

Attachments

• branegrav.gif
    branegrav.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 543
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you ask me i see at least one unlikely thing in this model which is that it implies that in the universe there are regions where matter would be accelerated for what would appear to be no good reason. For example, at the top and bottom sides of the brane matter would just be accelerated at maximum gravity without the need for having any matter around to bend space. :smile:

Accelerated Brane

I don't think a brane which has constant velocity could be stretched by an inertial mass for very long. The mass landing upon it would eventually attain the same velocity as the brane and, I must assume a stretched brane would eventually return to it's un-stretched original shape and the mass would then fly off at about 2 times the brane velocity. Even if the indentation remained, is there any reason for anything else to fall into it?

If on the other hand, the brane were to be accelerated at a constant rate then anything it came into contact with would be accelerated towards it and the surface of the brane could remain indented and follow the moving particles, strings, whatever on it's surface as long as the acceleration continued. I hesitate to offer any theories about what could have caused this acceleration, but it could be simulated equivalently by a flat flexible sheet perpendicular to a gravitational field, such as the one on the surface of the earth, indented by spheres resting or rolling on it. I think this is more akin to the warping of spacetime by gravity. I found a good description of the warping of spacetime by gravity in Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Cosmos."

1. What is "Brane Movement Causing Gravity"?

"Brane Movement Causing Gravity" is a theory that suggests gravity is caused by the movement of branes, which are multidimensional membranes that exist in the universe. This theory is an alternative to the traditional theory of gravity, which states that gravity is caused by the curvature of space-time caused by mass.

2. How does brane movement cause gravity?

The theory proposes that the movement of branes causes distortions in the fabric of space-time, which results in the force of gravity. This movement is thought to occur in extra dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are aware of.

3. What evidence supports the theory of "Brane Movement Causing Gravity"?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for this theory. However, it is a popular topic of study among theoretical physicists and has been used to explain certain phenomena that the traditional theory of gravity cannot, such as the weakness of gravity compared to other fundamental forces.

4. Are there any challenges to this theory?

One of the main challenges to this theory is the lack of direct evidence. It is also still a largely theoretical concept and has not been fully integrated into mainstream physics. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and uncertainties about the nature of branes and their movement.

5. How does the theory of "Brane Movement Causing Gravity" relate to other theories of gravity?

This theory is considered an alternative to the traditional theory of gravity, known as general relativity. It is also related to other theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, which also propose alternative explanations for the nature of gravity. However, it is still a developing theory and its relationship to other theories is still being explored.