1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breeding Ratio of thorium fuel cycle

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A breeder reactor is designed to work on a thorium fuel cycle. If the reactor generates a constant thermal power of 2.5GW and a production rate of 233U is 52kg per year. Find the breeding Ratio

[You may assume the capture to fission ratio of 233U is 0.09 and the energy released per fission is 197.9Mev.]

2. Relevant equations
    Breeding Ratio= number of fissile nuclei produced/ number of fissile nuclei consumed

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know how to go about solving this problem.
    I would assume that the capture to fission ratio is important.

The fission of one atom of U-233 generates 197.9 MeV = 3.171 × 10−11 J, i.e. 19.09 TJ/mol = 81.95 TJ/kg.
    Then multiply by 0.91 and calculate the energy from fission of 52kg.

81.95 TJ/kg x 52kg x 0.91=3.88x1015J per year

Also reactor produces 2.5GW so I can see this is also really important but get the feeling I am missing something simple as this is the 1st question on a past paper.

Any help really appreciated

Thanks
    Lewis

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    ha... im stuck too lewis i swear this wasn't in his notes...

rate of production of new fuel = G w P = 52kg

G = C - 1

where C is the breeding ratio...

strugling to find w (think its to do with the 200 MeV) but i think its simpler than ur calculations

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook