Broken-hearted donor leaves diamond ring in car

In summary, an anonymous gift-giver left a $15,000 diamond engagement ring to the owner of an unlocked car with a typed note hinting at a broken heart. The note says "Merry Christmas. Thank you for leaving your car door unlocked. Instead of stealing your car, I gave you a present. Hopefully this will land in the hands of someone you love, for my love is gone now. Merry Christmas to you." If the car is parked in Oslo, Norway, the ring will be brought to the recipient.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Why can't stuff like this ever happen to me? :frown:

"An anonymous gift-giver left a $15,000 diamond engagement ring to the owner of an unlocked car in western Massachusetts with a typed note hinting at a broken heart.

"Merry Christmas. Thank you for leaving your car door unlocked. Instead of stealing your car I gave you a present. Hopefully this will land in the hands of someone you love, for my love is gone now. Merry Christmas to you," the note said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051216/od_nm/ring_dc;_ylt=AkwH1VmgtVOa.f5CKjXZDEwZ.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It just might, if you visit Norway sometime. :smile:

arildno said:
It just might, if you visit Norway sometime. :smile:
Any particular place I should park my car there? :tongue:

Oslo will suffice.

Evo said:
Why can't stuff like this ever happen to me? :frown:
"An anonymous gift-giver left a $15,000 diamond engagement ring to the owner of an unlocked car in western Massachusetts with a typed note hinting at a broken heart.
"Merry Christmas. Thank you for leaving your car door unlocked. Instead of stealing your car I gave you a present. Hopefully this will land in the hands of someone you love, for my love is gone now. Merry Christmas to you," the note said."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051216/od_nm/ring_dc;_ylt=AkwH1VmgtVOa.f5CKjXZDEwZ.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

Would you rather have the diamond left in your car or meet the man who leaves the diamonds in cars?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
This is pretty much a confession the person who left the ring killed their finace and is feeling guilty.

That's amazing. Such romanticism seems so rare today.

Also, it's amusing that the author is so Boston-centric that 30 miles west of Boston is considered "western Mass."

I threw a half eaten apple fritter in the back of a moving car window when I was a bit younger. I think he was pretty happy too!

Did she know that the dimmond ring was wroth $15,000

Jelfish said:
That's amazing. Such romanticism seems so rare today.

Also, it's amusing that the author is so Boston-centric that 30 miles west of Boston is considered "western Mass."

yeah... uh, westborough is east of Worcester, which is like, defined to be central MA, heh.

that's a really sad story though. poor guy. can you imagine being so heart broken that you'd give up 15k like that? wow. I've done some craziness, but not like that.

I feel sort of guilty everytime i think of this now, but when i was a bit younger, i went around a parking lot looking for unlocked cars too... i didn't steal stuff either, i just opened them to freak the owners out. i realized though that maybe someone else could've stolen stuff after me... or maybe they left diamond rings too... yeah! i was doing everyone a favor. whew, do i feel better now.

One time I found a $20 dollar bill laying on the ground folded up at the mall and I was so freaking happy. Then when I got home I should it to everyone, but then when I unfolded it turned out to be fake! There was a message in the center of the bill that said something like: "Disapointed? Jesus can help blah blah blah go to so and so church." Cheap, but effective method of advertizing.

Entropy said:
One time I found a $20 dollar bill laying on the ground folded up at the mall and I was so freaking happy. Then when I got home I should it to everyone, but then when I unfolded it turned out to be fake! There was a message in the center of the bill that said something like: "Disapointed? Jesus can help blah blah blah go to so and so church." Cheap, but effective method of advertizing.
Ooh, I think I'd have had to go to the church and leave the bill in the collection basket with the note altered to read, "Disappointed? Don't try to lure in congregants with cash." :biggrin:

I feel so sad for someone who is so heartbroken to just give away an engagement ring like that. I guess it's better than those who just throw them into a lake or something. Can you imagine being to the point in a relationship where you're ready to propose, already have the ring, and then get blind-sided when she dumps you? Or maybe it was something more tragic and she died. How depressing to think about it. :frown:

Moonbear said:
Ooh, I think I'd have had to go to the church and leave the bill in the collection basket with the note altered to read, "Disappointed? Don't try to lure in congregants with cash." :biggrin:
:rofl: Thanks that made my day

1. What is the significance of a diamond ring being left in a car by a broken-hearted donor?

The significance of a diamond ring being left in a car by a broken-hearted donor could vary depending on the individual's personal circumstances. It could symbolize the end of a romantic relationship or the closure of a chapter in their life. It could also be seen as a gesture of moving on and letting go of the past.

2. How common is it for people to leave sentimental items in their cars?

It is difficult to determine the exact frequency of people leaving sentimental items in their cars as it would vary from person to person. However, it is not uncommon for people to associate their cars with a sense of privacy and security, and therefore may feel comfortable leaving sentimental items there.

3. Could the donor have intentionally left the ring or was it an accident?

Without further context, it is impossible to determine whether the donor intentionally left the ring or if it was an accident. It could be a possibility that the donor was in a state of distress and forgot about the ring, or they may have deliberately left it behind as a symbolic gesture.

4. Is there any scientific explanation for why people may leave sentimental items in their cars?

There is no specific scientific explanation for why people may leave sentimental items in their cars. However, it could be linked to the individual's emotional state and the perceived sense of privacy and security in their car. It could also be a coping mechanism for dealing with difficult emotions.

5. What can we learn from this situation as scientists?

As scientists, we can use this situation to further explore the relationship between emotions and objects. It could also be studied as a form of behavior and how individuals cope with heartbreak or other emotional distress. Additionally, it could be a reminder to approach situations with empathy and understanding, as we never truly know what someone else may be going through.

Back