Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Broken-hearted donor leaves diamond ring in car

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why can't stuff like this ever happen to me? :frown:

"An anonymous gift-giver left a $15,000 diamond engagement ring to the owner of an unlocked car in western Massachusetts with a typed note hinting at a broken heart.

"Merry Christmas. Thank you for leaving your car door unlocked. Instead of stealing your car I gave you a present. Hopefully this will land in the hands of someone you love, for my love is gone now. Merry Christmas to you," the note said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051216...jXZDEwZ.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It just might, if you visit Norway sometime. :smile:

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Any particular place I should park my car there? :tongue:

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Oslo will suffice.

6. Dec 16, 2005 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

Would you rather have the diamond left in your car or meet the man who leaves the diamonds in cars?

7. Dec 16, 2005 #6
    This is pretty much a confession the person who left the ring killed their finace and is feeling guilty.

8. Dec 16, 2005 #7
    That's amazing. Such romanticism seems so rare today.

Also, it's amusing that the author is so Boston-centric that 30 miles west of Boston is considered "western Mass."

9. Dec 16, 2005 #8
    I threw a half eaten apple fritter in the back of a moving car window when I was a bit younger. I think he was pretty happy too!

10. Dec 16, 2005 #9
    Did she know that the dimmond ring was wroth $15,000

11. Dec 16, 2005 #10
    yeah... uh, westborough is east of Worcester, which is like, defined to be central MA, heh.

that's a really sad story though. poor guy. can you imagine being so heart broken that you'd give up 15k like that? wow. i've done some craziness, but not like that.

I feel sort of guilty everytime i think of this now, but when i was a bit younger, i went around a parking lot looking for unlocked cars too... i didn't steal stuff either, i just opened them to freak the owners out. i realized though that maybe someone else could've stolen stuff after me... or maybe they left diamond rings too... yeah! i was doing everyone a favor. whew, do i feel better now.

12. Dec 16, 2005 #11
    One time I found a $20 dollar bill laying on the ground folded up at the mall and I was so freaking happy. Then when I got home I should it to everyone, but then when I unfolded it turned out to be fake! There was a message in the center of the bill that said something like: "Disapointed? Jesus can help blah blah blah go to so and so church." Cheap, but effective method of advertizing.

13. Dec 17, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, I think I'd have had to go to the church and leave the bill in the collection basket with the note altered to read, "Disappointed? Don't try to lure in congregants with cash." :biggrin:

I feel so sad for someone who is so heartbroken to just give away an engagement ring like that. I guess it's better than those who just throw them into a lake or something. Can you imagine being to the point in a relationship where you're ready to propose, already have the ring, and then get blind-sided when she dumps you? Or maybe it was something more tragic and she died. How depressing to think about it. :frown:

14. Dec 17, 2005 #13
    :rofl: Thanks that made my day

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?