Bug, or limitation in quoting?

• Bug
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, when using the quote syntax, a comma between the quotation marks will only display the text before the comma. This may be considered a bug or limitation and means that usernames should not contain commas. This is because the quote syntax uses commas to separate fields. This limitation is humorously highlighted in the XKCD comic, "Exploits of a Mom."
fluidistic
Gold Member
If one puts a comma between the "" in quote=""..., only what is before the comma will be displayed.

Example: I write quote="wow, what a bug" :
wow said:
Note that only wow is displayed.

On the other hand, if I don't use the comma, the full thing is displayed:

wow what a bug said:
The full thing is displayed.

I found this out because I wanted to use a comma. I consider this either a bug or a limitation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Practically speaking, this means that usernames should not contain a comma.
(post numbers and numerical user ids already don't).

It sounds like maybe commas are not allowed in a username

scottdave said:
It sounds like maybe commas are not allowed in a username
It's because the quote syntax uses commas to separate fields. For example, the quote string in this post that I am writing now is QUOTE="scottdave, post: 6134038, member: 618222"

Likes mfb and scottdave
Relevant XKCD
exploits_of_a_mom.png

https://xkcd.com/327/

Likes collinsmark, BillTre and Nugatory

1. What is a bug or limitation in quoting?

A bug or limitation in quoting refers to an error or restriction in the process of quoting or citing sources in a research paper or publication. This can include issues with formatting, missing information, or incorrect citation styles.

2. How can I avoid bugs or limitations in quoting?

To avoid bugs or limitations in quoting, it is important to carefully follow the guidelines for citing sources provided by your institution or publication. Additionally, double-check your citations for accuracy and make sure to use reliable sources.

3. What are some common bugs or limitations in quoting?

Common bugs or limitations in quoting include missing information (such as page numbers or publication dates), incorrect citation styles, and improper use of quotation marks or paraphrasing.

4. Can bugs or limitations in quoting affect the credibility of my research?

Yes, bugs or limitations in quoting can significantly impact the credibility of your research. Incorrect or incomplete citations can lead to accusations of plagiarism or raise doubts about the reliability of your sources.

5. How can I fix a bug or limitation in quoting?

If you encounter a bug or limitation in quoting, the best course of action is to carefully review your citations and make any necessary corrections. You may also seek guidance from your instructor or a writing center for assistance in properly citing your sources.