Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height limitation for natural circulation thermosiphon

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1

rollingstein

Gold Member

Suppose I have an overhead tank that heats hot water by natural circulation via a thermosiphon (& a Heat Exchanger with some source of waste heat), is there a limitation on how tall this loop can be?

e.g. Can there be an elevated tank at 30 feet with a heat exchanger at ground level that heats the water via a thermosiphon? What's the right way to analyse this?

Even more fundamentally, does a more elevated tank make a thermosiphon harder or easier to get going?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not an expert but I cant think of a reason why there would be a limit on height (unless perhaps you want to heat a space station or something). As i recall the flow rate increases until the pressure difference (due to the different densities in each leg) can no longer overcome the pressure drops in the pipework. I think starting will be harder with height because the percentage of water heated is smaller yet pipe losses are higher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook