Building a motorcycle, need classical mechanics help

In summary, the conversation was about a person who is an engineering graduate and is currently building a motorcycle. They are looking for help on calculating the strength and durability of their build, specifically for the subframe which is made of 25mm diameter tubing with a wall thickness of 1.6mm. The steel used is EN 10305-3 E220 non-alloy low carbon steel. They are also looking for assistance in using classical mechanics and materials strength approaches to this problem. Safety concerns were raised and the conversation was eventually closed due to the potential risks involved.
Feroyn
TL;DR Summary
I am building a motorcycle subframe, and I want to calculate the strength/durability of the structure. I need help doing that!
Hi!

I am an engineering graduate that took my bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering much too long ago, but I have forgotten a lot of the classical mechanics/mechanics of materials theory that I had learned many years ago. I am building a motorcycle right now, and I want to calculate the strength and durability of my build, to make sure I can use these aesthetics.

Here is the subframe that I want to calculate from. Assume the entire piece will be fully welded on the mainframe (welded at 4 spots).
Tubing is 25 mm in diameter, with a wall thickness of 1.6mm. Steel is EN 10305-3 E220 non-alloy low carbon steel.

181334229_10160890541748056_5314149462933643597_n.jpeg

Here's a quick side-profile sketch of my silly forces/moments. I'm assuming the force is at one spot to make it simpler (my weight).
1619908398624.png

Does anyone have any idea of how to approach this problem in both a classical mechanics (assuming the tubing won't deform/flex), and in a materials strength aspect (since it does flex and might be prone to bending IRL).

Sorry for the stupid question if this is rudimentary. Thank you for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

This thread will likely get closed due to safety concerns, but can you say what distinguishes a subframe from the frame? I'm only familiar with the term frame in motorcycle construction.

Also, what FEA software do you have access to? That's obviously how the regular design folks do this type of task...

Thank you Berkeman!

Oh, safety concerns because it might cause me harm if I calculate it wrong? I take on full responsibility for anything that I build and maintain. :) I just want to learn how to approach an issue like this.

The subframe is basically the back frame that sticks out and is welded on 4 spots. Here's a better image of the top view for the subframe:

1619910808494.png

Oh and currently I don't have access to any FEM analysis program. Those are quite expensive aren't they? :)

Feroyn said:
I take on full responsibility for anything that I build and maintain.
Feroyn said:
The subframe is basically the back frame that sticks out and is welded on 4 spots.
Hmm, so the part that your passenger sits on. Got it.
Feroyn said:
Oh and currently I don't have access to any FEM analysis program. Those are quite expensive aren't they? :)
The software is a lot less expensive than a negligent homicide lawsuit settlement usually runs. Thread is closed.

1. What are the basic components of a motorcycle?

The basic components of a motorcycle include an engine, transmission, wheels, frame, suspension, brakes, and handlebars. Other parts such as the fuel tank, exhaust system, and electrical system are also important for the functioning of the motorcycle.

2. How does the engine work in a motorcycle?

The engine in a motorcycle works by converting fuel into energy through a series of small explosions. This energy is then transferred to the transmission, which helps to power the wheels and move the motorcycle forward.

3. What role does classical mechanics play in building a motorcycle?

Classical mechanics is essential in building a motorcycle as it helps in understanding the principles of motion, forces, and energy that are involved in the functioning of the motorcycle. It also helps in designing and optimizing the various components of the motorcycle for better performance.

4. How does the suspension system work in a motorcycle?

The suspension system in a motorcycle helps to absorb shocks and vibrations from the road, providing a smoother and more comfortable ride. It consists of springs and dampers that work together to maintain the balance and stability of the motorcycle.

5. What are the safety considerations when building a motorcycle?

When building a motorcycle, it is important to consider safety measures such as using high-quality materials, following proper assembly instructions, and conducting regular maintenance. It is also crucial to wear proper protective gear while riding to prevent injuries in case of accidents.