Built an HBT Interferometer but don't get the physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a cheap Hanbury-Brown Twiss Interferometer that is able to measure time differences between two single photon detectors and produce results on a PC. The device also has highspeed logic for coincidence detection and counts photons hitting each SPCM. The speaker is now trying to understand the HBT experiment and its relationship to their measurements, seeking help from those familiar with the topic.
Mellowed
Hi Guys,

I was tasked with building a cheap Hanbury-Brown Twiss Interferometer >$50-100. Below is an image of my design requirements which i managed to implement within a 32bit micrcotronoller and i am able to measure time differences down to 100ps over a range of up to 1us-1ms at around 10mhz(i'm not using the clock cycle of the MCU for measurements). It sends the results to a PC and produces histographs etc and sends the data to labview aswell. It also counts the photons hitting each SPCM and has highspeed logic for simple highlow coincidence detection.

TLDR, device measures time difference between two Single photon detecotrs and some other stuff.

upload_2017-2-22_21-54-33.png

So I'm at the point where i need to explain the HBT experiment and I'm totally lost. Below is a basic setup example.

upload_2017-2-22_21-56-29.png

So the HBT can be used to calculate the second order coherence function given by

upload_2017-2-22_22-0-53.png

where (r1,t1) is the position and time of E electric fields? how would i get the (r1,t1), (r2,t1), (r2,t2) and how do they relate to the detections and measurements i make in the Figure1 above?

I studied electronics and no phyics (at all) and it has been a few years since i did maths so any help would be great.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is an HBT interferometer?

An HBT interferometer is a type of interferometer used in various fields of science, such as astrophysics, to measure small changes in light intensity. It consists of two beamsplitter cubes that split a single incoming beam of light into two paths, which are then recombined to create an interference pattern that can be analyzed to gather information about the light source.

2. How does an HBT interferometer work?

An HBT interferometer works by splitting a single beam of light into two paths using beamsplitters. One path is delayed by a small amount using a delay line, and then the two paths are recombined. The resulting interference pattern is then measured, and the data can be analyzed to determine properties of the light source, such as intensity, polarization, and wavelength.

3. What are the applications of an HBT interferometer?

HBT interferometers have a wide range of applications, including in astrophysics for studying stars and other celestial objects, in telecommunications for measuring optical signals, and in biophysics for studying biological processes involving light.

4. What are some potential challenges when using an HBT interferometer?

Some potential challenges when using an HBT interferometer include the need for precise alignment of the components, sensitivity to external vibrations and disturbances, and the potential for signal noise or interference. Additionally, interpreting the interference patterns can be complex and may require advanced mathematical analysis.

5. Can an HBT interferometer be used for any type of light source?

An HBT interferometer can be used for a wide range of light sources, including lasers, LEDs, and natural sources such as stars. However, the characteristics of the light source, such as its coherence and intensity, may affect the quality and accuracy of the interference pattern produced.

Back