Buoyant force of an aluminum block

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
domyy
Messages
196
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An aluminum block has a mass of 0.25kg and a density of 2700 kg/m cubic.

a) calculate the volume of the aluminum block.
b) Determine the buoyant force exerted on this block when it´s completely submerged in water of density 1000kg/m cubic.

Homework Equations



v = m/d

The Attempt at a Solution



I already solved for a and I got:

v = 0.25/2700 = 9.25 x 10 to the power of -5

Now for b), I am not sure... i did something like:

9.25 x 10-5 x 1000 x 10
9.25 x 10-5 x 1.0 to the power of 3 x 10
9.25 x 10-1 ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
domyy said:
I already solved for a and I got:

v = 0.25/2700 = 9.25 x 10 to the power of -5
OK. (But don't leave out the units.)

Now for b), I am not sure... i did something like:

9.25 x 10-5 x 1000 x 10
9.25 x 10-5 x 1.0 to the power of 3 x 10
9.25 x 10-1 ?
If the block were submerged in water, that would be about right. (Using g = 10 m/s2.) (Again, don't leave out the units.)
 
Why do i have someone saying the answer should be 92.5 for a) ?
 
Last edited:
domyy said:
Why do i have someone saying the answer should be 92.5 for a) ?
They are expressing the volume in cm3 instead of m3.
 
Last edited: