Buoyant force of an aluminum block

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume and buoyant force of an aluminum block with a mass of 0.25kg and density of 2700 kg/m cubic when submerged in water of density 1000kg/m cubic. The volume of the block is 9.25 x 10 to the power of -5 m3 and the buoyant force is approximately 9.25 x 10-1 N, using g = 10 m/s2. Some may express the volume in cm3, which would be 92.5 cm3.
domyy

Homework Statement

An aluminum block has a mass of 0.25kg and a density of 2700 kg/m cubic.

a) calculate the volume of the aluminum block.
b) Determine the buoyant force exerted on this block when it´s completely submerged in water of density 1000kg/m cubic.

Homework Equations

v = m/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved for a and I got:

v = 0.25/2700 = 9.25 x 10 to the power of -5

Now for b), I am not sure... i did something like:

9.25 x 10-5 x 1000 x 10
9.25 x 10-5 x 1.0 to the power of 3 x 10
9.25 x 10-1 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
domyy said:
I already solved for a and I got:

v = 0.25/2700 = 9.25 x 10 to the power of -5
OK. (But don't leave out the units.)

Now for b), I am not sure... i did something like:

9.25 x 10-5 x 1000 x 10
9.25 x 10-5 x 1.0 to the power of 3 x 10
9.25 x 10-1 ?
If the block were submerged in water, that would be about right. (Using g = 10 m/s2.) (Again, don't leave out the units.)

Why do i have someone saying the answer should be 92.5 for a) ?

Last edited:
domyy said:
Why do i have someone saying the answer should be 92.5 for a) ?
They are expressing the volume in cm3 instead of m3.

Last edited:

The correct answer for b) is 2.44N.

The correct equation to use for calculating the buoyant force is Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid (in this case, water), V is the volume of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So, for this problem, the buoyant force would be:

Fb = (1000 kg/m^3)(9.25 x 10^-5 m^3)(9.8 m/s^2) = 2.44 N

This means that when the aluminum block is submerged in water, it will experience a buoyant force of 2.44 N, pushing it upwards. This is because the density of the block (2700 kg/m^3) is greater than the density of water (1000 kg/m^3), causing it to displace a volume of water equal to its own volume. This allows the block to float in water, with a portion of it submerged and a portion above the surface.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water or air) on an object that is immersed or floating in it. It is a result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object, with the higher pressure at the bottom pushing the object upwards.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

The buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force on an aluminum block?

The buoyant force on an aluminum block is affected by its volume, density, and the density of the fluid it is immersed in. A larger block will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force. A denser block will displace less fluid and experience a smaller buoyant force. Additionally, the density of the fluid will affect the buoyant force, with denser fluids exerting a greater buoyant force on the block.

4. How does the shape of the aluminum block affect the buoyant force?

The shape of the aluminum block does not directly affect the buoyant force, as it is determined by the block's volume and density. However, the shape can indirectly affect the buoyant force by changing the amount of fluid displaced by the block. For example, a block with a concave shape will displace less fluid and experience a smaller buoyant force compared to a block with a convex shape.

5. How can the buoyant force on an aluminum block be increased?

The buoyant force on an aluminum block can be increased by increasing its volume or decreasing its density. This can be achieved by attaching a larger object to the block (increasing its volume) or by hollowing out the block (decreasing its density). Additionally, immersing the block in a denser fluid will also increase the buoyant force experienced by the block.