1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ or verilog or random process ?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    C++ or verilog or random process ??

I'm currently in 3rd year of my undergrad in Electronics & Communication engg. For my 6th semester, I'm required to take 1 elective from the following-
    -Data Structures with C++
    -Random Process
    -Digital System Design using Verilog
    -Analog & Mixed mode VLSI design
    -Satellite Communication

I don't know if Random process would be a good choice or not, from the rest, I'm interested equally in Digital design using Verilog, Data Structures using C++ but I need to make one choice.

I've had experience with Visual Basic in my high school which got me interested in programming but since then I've never got enough time to learn C++(or other lang) as I had to concentrate on 6 courses every semester.

I've taken a course on Intro to VHDL/Verilog in my 2nd yr.

I'm in a dilemma as to which one to go for from the first 3 choices as I get mixed opinions from my seniors. So could you give me a comparison of the 1st three in terms of how much they'll help me if I go for an MS in EE or an MS in EECS in the future?
    Any suggestions to clear my confusion are welcome!

Regards,
    Zaman

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

Re: C++ or verilog or random process ??

Is the C++ course an introduction to elementary data structures (classes, stacks, queues, linked-lists), or does it focus on some of the more advanced data structures for searching1, sorting2, graphs3?

You mentioned not having any time to learn C++. Does this mean you haven't had any exposure to it at all? If you cannot take an introductory course, you should spend some time on your own becoming familiar with it.

1Range Trees, kD-Trees, Quadtree, Hashing
    2Selection Sort, Bubble Sort, Insertion Sort, Heapsort, Mergesort, Quicksort, Linear Time Sorts
    3Searching (i.e., DFS and BFS), Shortest Paths (i.e., Dijkstra.s and Bellman-Ford algorithms)

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Re: C++ or verilog or random process ??

My university scheme shows the units having stacks, queues, priority queues, skip lists & hashing, binary & search trees. We don't have the advanced data structures you mentioned.

Oh, not really, we took an intro course on C in the first yr, what I meant was the system here doesn't really allow you to explore outside the curriculum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook