1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random process involving CDF and PDF of standard normal

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let
    $$ \Phi(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{x} \frac{1} { \sqrt{2\pi} } e^{-y^2 /2} dy $$
    and $$ \phi(x)=\Phi^\prime(x)=\frac{1} { \sqrt{2\pi} } e^{-x^2 /2} $$
    be the standard normal (zero - mean and unit variance) cummulative probability distribution function and the standard normal probability density function, respectively. Find a random process $$(X(t), \, t \in \mathbb{R}) $$ such that the following calculation is valid:
    \begin{align}P\left(X(1) ≤ 0, X(2) ≤ 0\right) &= P\left(X(1) ≤ 0, X(2)-\frac{1} {\sqrt{2}}X(1)≤-\frac{1} {\sqrt{2}}X(1)\right)\\&=\int_{-\infty}^{0} P\left(X(2)-\frac{1} {\sqrt{2}}X(1)≤-\frac{1} {\sqrt{2}}x\right)\phi(x) dx\\&=\int_{-\infty}^{0} \Phi(-x)\phi(x) dx =\int_{0}^{\infty} \Phi(x)\phi(x) dx =\Bigg[\frac{\Phi(x)^2} {2}\Bigg]^{\infty}_{0}=\frac{3} {8}\end{align}

2. Relevant equations

3. solution
    A zero-mean unit-variance Gaussian process with
    $$E(X(1)X(2)) = (\frac{1}{\sqrt 2})$$
    , because for such a process
    X(1) and $$X(2)− (\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}) X(1)$$ are independent

and
    $$P(X(2)−(\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}) X(1) ≤ \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} x) = \Phi(−x)$$

since $$X(2)− (\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}) X(1)$$ is a Gaussian random variable with variance 1/2.

If anyone could explain the sections (a) red, (b) green and (c) blue i would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you learned Wiener processes yet? If you have then a description of a solution that is (to me) much simpler than the above is
    $$X(t)=\frac{W(t)}{\sqrt{t}}$$
    where ##W(t)## is a Wiener process (aka Brownian Motion).

By the way, I'm pretty sure that line 2 in the problem statement is wrong. It should be:

$$
    \int_{-\infty}^{0} P\left(X(2)-\frac{1} {\sqrt{2}}X(1)≤-\frac{1} {\sqrt{2}}x\ \bigg\vert\ X(1)=x\right)\phi(x) dx\ \ \ \textbf{[2a]}
    $$

otherwise the step from line (1) to (2) is not valid.
    I think what they expect you to do to validate the red part, is to evaluate##E\left[X(1)\left(
    X(2)− (\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}) X(1)
    \right)\right]##. You should be able to show this is zero. However, it would be a mistake to think that means they are independent. Zero covariance is a necessary but not sufficient condition for independence.

So I suggest you forget their solution, which looks dodgy to me. Instead, consider the following:

The step from (1) to (2a) is true if ##X(1)\sim N(0,1)##. [Condition A]
    The step from 2a to 3 is valid if ##X(2)− (\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}) X(1)\sim N(0,1)## and is independent of ##X(1)##. [Condition B]
    All other steps are identities, and hold regardless of the distribution.

For a Wiener Process ##W(t)##, we have ##W(t)\sim N(0,t)## and ##W(t)-W(s)## is independent of ##W(s)## for ##t>s##. So conditions A and B can easily be shown to be met for the process ##X(t) =\frac{W(t)}{\sqrt{t}}##. Hence ##X(t)## is a solution.

4. Jan 7, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Letting ##X_1 = X(1)## and ##X_2 = X(2)##, the random variable ##Y = X_2 - a X_1 ## has mean 0 and variance
    [tex] \text{Var}(Y) = \text{Var}(X_1) + a^2 \, \text{Var}(X_1) - 2 a \, \text{Cov}(X_1, X_2) [/tex]
    What do you get when ##\text{Var}(X_1) = \text{Var}(X_2) = 1, a = 1/\sqrt{2}## and ##\text{Cov}(X_1 X_2) =1/ \sqrt{2}\;##?

So, you want ##X_2 - X_1/\sqrt{2}## to be independent of ##X_1## and to have variance 1/2; that is, you want
    [tex] X_2 = X_1/\sqrt{2} \pm Z/\sqrt{2}, [/tex]
    where ##Z \sim \text{N}(0,1)## is independent of ##X_1##. Can you do this in terms of ##W(1)## and ##W(2)\:##? What sign in ##\pm## must you take in order to get the result in eq.(3)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted