1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cable theory - calculating cable length using graphs

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using a simulation program I must determine cable length (lambda), area specific conductance (Gm) and internal resistivity of a cell.

The program allows you to inject a current (in uA) and change the electrode distance from the centre of the cell.

The simulator then outputs a membrane voltage in mV.

Length is 60mm
    Radius is 0.5mm

2. Relevant equations

J = V Gm

λ = [Gm (ro+ri) πd]-1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tabulated an injected current of 1uA against the distance, keeping current at 1uA and increasing distance by 2mm. I then plotted the membrane voltage against the distance.

Unsure how to find lambda and conductance from this point.

please help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2
    Good grief. This is neuroscience. I'm sure you've generated a lot of head scratching from thos trying to understand what at first looks like a problem in electrical cables and voltaic cells.

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3
    Which of course it is based on.

To the OP, you might look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_theory" [Broken]for some guidance. Is your model just outputting the steady state Em as a function of distance? If so, lambda can be obtained a few ways.

You could graph on semi-log paper or use the relation that the voltage decay is exponential--i.e.at one lambda,the delta V falls to 37% of the delta V at x=0. That delta V in the steady state is just i*Rm, or in terms of conductance, i/Gm is what you're calling Gm is the reciprocal of Rm. Once lambda is known,you should be able to work out the internal resistivity.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook