CAD program/s with plain-text scripting language

In summary, the conversation was about finding a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language that can perform boolean operations with basic shapes and export the resulting models in a 3D printing-friendly format. While SVG was suggested as a possible option, it was noted that it may only be designed for 2D graphics. The conversation then turned to the possibility of using 3DTin, which can generate 3D SVG files, but it was unclear if it had a scripting language for exporting models in STL format. The expert ultimately concluded that FreeCAD with its Python-based scripting language would be the most suitable option for the user's needs.
Vigardo
Hi experts,

What CAD program/s include a plain-text scripting language? Any free?

I´m looking for something similar to Ansys´ APDL, but intended to perform boolean operations with simple geometrical shapes (spheres, boxes, cylinders, etc.) and able to generate meshed objects in STL or other 3D printing amenable format.

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
While I don't know of a program that fits your requirements, many CAD editors do support SVG which can be manipulated in a web page with javascript.

One example is Inkscape.

SVG is described here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVG

Thanks Jedishrfu for your contribution, but SVG seems only designed for 2D graphics.

After searching deeper, I´ve found that the Python-based scripting lengauge provided by FreeCAD would fulfill my requirements, i.e. easy basic shapes generation, boolean operations, and STL export capabilities. Here is the link to the "part scripting" page: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Topological_data_scripting

Any other alternative?

How about this?

http://blog.3dtin.com/2011/02/22/export-3d-models-as-svg/

generates 3D SVG

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that SVG format is also capable of 3D. It is interesting, but I can't see if 3DTin has some scripting language to create and export models into STL. By the way, I don't want online tools because I need to automate the STL files generation using some local in-house Perl script. Thanks!

What is a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language?

A CAD (Computer-Aided Design) program with a plain-text scripting language is a software tool used by engineers, architects, and designers for creating and modifying 2D and 3D designs. It allows users to write text-based commands and scripts that can be executed to automate tasks, customize designs, and improve workflow.

What are the benefits of using a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language?

There are several benefits of using a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language. Firstly, it allows for greater customization and flexibility, as users can write their own scripts to automate tasks specific to their needs. Additionally, it can save time and increase efficiency, as repetitive tasks can be automated. It also allows for easier collaboration and sharing of designs, as the scripts can be shared and executed by others.

What are some examples of CAD programs with plain-text scripting language?

Some examples of CAD programs with plain-text scripting language include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and SketchUp. These programs all have their own scripting languages, such as AutoLISP, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and Ruby, respectively.

Do I need to have programming knowledge to use a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language?

While having programming knowledge can be helpful, it is not a requirement to use a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language. Many CAD programs have user-friendly interfaces and resources, such as tutorials and forums, to help users learn and use their scripting languages.

Are there any disadvantages to using a CAD program with a plain-text scripting language?

One potential disadvantage is that it may take some time for users to learn the scripting language and become proficient in writing scripts. Additionally, if the program is updated or the scripting language changes, existing scripts may need to be modified. There may also be a learning curve for those who are not familiar with programming.