Caffeine's Impact on Squirrels: Fact or Fiction in Hoodwinked & Over the Hedge

• Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Caffeine
In summary, caffeine does not have a special effect on squirrels and the purported benefits of drinking coffee are not really true.
Panthera Leo
Hello everyone :smile:

Is there any special effect of Caffeine on Squirrels ?

with reference to Hoodwinked & Over the hedge (Animated Cartoons)

In these animated cartoons, squirrels get super-fast by drinking coffee! Is this really true?

Biology news on Phys.org
Ask and ye shall receive:

Insights into cardioprotection obtained from study of cellular Ca2+ handling in myocardium of true hibernating mammals.
Yatani A, Kim SJ, Kudej RK, Wang Q, Depre C, Irie K, Kranias EG, Vatner SF, Vatner DE.
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004 Jun;286(6):H2219-28. Epub 2004 Feb 12.PMID: 14962828 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free ArticleRelated citations

Sleep after arousal from hibernation is not homeostatically regulated.
Larkin JE, Heller HC.
Am J Physiol. 1999 Feb;276(2 Pt 2):R522-9.PMID: 9950933 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free ArticleRelated citations

Dependence of myocardial hypothermia tolerance on sources of activator calcium.
Wang SQ, Huang YH, Liu KS, Zhou ZQ.
Cryobiology. 1997 Nov;35(3):193-200.PMID: 9367607 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Related citations

Caffeine prevents cholesterol gallstone formation.
Lillemoe KD, Magnuson TH, High RC, Peoples GE, Pitt HA.
Surgery. 1989 Aug;106(2):400-6; discussion 406-7.PMID: 2763038 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Related citations

Comparison between effects of caffeine and ryanodine on electromechanical coupling in myocardium of hibernating chipmunks: role of internal Ca stores.
Kondo N.
Br J Pharmacol. 1988 Dec;95(4):1287-91.PMID: 3219487 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free PMC ArticleFree textRelated citations

Calcium source for excitation-contraction coupling in myocardium of nonhibernating and hibernating chipmunks.
Kondo N, Shibata S.
Science. 1984 Aug 10;225(4662):641-3.PMID: 6740332 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Panthera Leo said:
Hello everyone :smile:

Is there any special effect of Caffeine on Squirrels ?

In these animated cartoons, squirrels get super-fast by drinking coffee! Is this really true?

No, not really.
Anyway, most plant-eating (and omnivorous) mammals are pretty caffeine-insensitive. Most humans are only slightly stimulated by a dose of caffeine that would kill a dog or cat. Squirrels probably would not come to much harm.
Interestingly, caffeine is quite effective against many invertebrates and, in the form of used coffee grounds (NOT decaf!) it is a remarkably good material for killing and repelling slugs and snails.
Pass the coffee!

Jon

Last edited:
"Caffeine vs Squirels" :confused:

What are they fighting about?

I'm going to leave a dough nut dunked in coffee in my Squirrel feeder this weekend. They have been acting a bit sluggish anyways.

hypatia said:
I'm going to leave a dough nut dunked in coffee in my Squirrel feeder this weekend. They have been acting a bit sluggish anyways.
Lucky squirrels!:smile:
I like your bird song tag. Here in South Africa we have certain birds (some shrikes and robins or robin-chats) that sing antiphonally, ie in tune with each other. It is a mutual recognition and bonding thing. One famous example is the bokmakierie shrike. When they raise a clutch and the youngsters have fledged, but not yet left the family, they join in family harmony groups, no doubt training the young in song techniques, and the result is the most attractive birdsong that I personally have heard. Nothing to do with caffeine, but I thought that you might like to hear of it.
Cheers

Jon

To be clear, as far as amphetamines go, caffeine gets pretty toxic before rendering you superhuman. How fast you, or a squirrel is, does not really depend on whether you've had your morning cup of bean juice. A squirrel, like other animals, is probably at its fastest when fleeing or fighting, under the influence of its adorable little adrenals. Ooooh, little squirrel glands! :tongue2:

Thanks for your contributions...

Panthera Leo said:

This is not true.

Additional cartoon fallacies include ...

When Wile E. Cyote paints a picture of a tunnel on a cliff-face, the road runner can't really run right through it as if it were real.

When Jerry shoves a stick of dynamite down Tom's throat and it explodes in his belly, he can't really survive and start chasing Jerry with only 1 minute of recovery time.

When Bugs Bunny puts his finger in Elmer Fudd's shotgun, he can't really prevent the pellets from comming out. In realty, Bugs' head would be blown off. Also, even if the gun exploded in Elmer's face, he wouldn't not bleed; and, at the very least, there should be bits of shrapnel in his face, in the next scene.

stevenb said:
This is not true.

Additional cartoon fallacies include ...

When Wile E. Cyote paints a picture of a tunnel on a cliff-face, the road runner can't really run right through it as if it were real.

When Jerry shoves a stick of dynamite down Tom's throat and it explodes in his belly, he can't really survive and start chasing Jerry with only 1 minute of recovery time.

When Bugs Bunny puts his finger in Elmer Fudd's shotgun, he can't really prevent the pellets from comming out. In realty, Bugs' head would be blown off. Also, even if the gun exploded in Elmer's face, he wouldn't not bleed; and, at the very least, there should be bits of shrapnel in his face, in the next scene.

You're killing my childhood dreams! Are you telling me that if I run off a cliff, I'll fall before I realize that I'm walking on air? :wink:

To be fair to the OP, I think the question of the effect of an amphetamine on fast little rodents is much more reasonable than the standard ACME fair.

nismaratwork said:
To be fair to the OP, I think the question of the effect of an amphetamine on fast little rodents is much more reasonable than the standard ACME fair.

Yes, of course. I just couldn't resist the great setup he provided. :rolleyes:

One never knows from what strange places legitimate questions are born. The OP was kind enough to entertain us by revealing the origin to this one.

stevenb said:
Yes, of course. I just couldn't resist the great setup he provided. :rolleyes:

One never knows from what strange places legitimate questions are born. The OP was kind enough to entertain us by revealing the origin to this one.

You are most welcome :biggrin: lol!

1. What is the effect of caffeine on squirrels?

Caffeine is a stimulant that can affect the central nervous system of squirrels. It can increase their heart rate, blood pressure, and activity levels. However, it can also lead to restlessness, irritability, and even death in high doses.

2. Do squirrels naturally consume caffeine?

No, squirrels do not naturally consume caffeine. It is a substance found in plants such as coffee, tea, and cocoa. Squirrels might accidentally ingest caffeine if they come into contact with these plants or if they scavenge through human garbage.

3. Can caffeine have long-term effects on squirrels?

There is limited research on the long-term effects of caffeine on squirrels. However, it is known that chronic caffeine consumption can lead to addiction, increased anxiety, and sleep disruption in humans. It is possible that similar effects could occur in squirrels.

4. How does caffeine affect squirrel behavior?

Caffeine can affect squirrel behavior by increasing their energy levels and making them more active. This can lead to increased foraging and exploration behavior. However, it can also make them more agitated and aggressive towards other squirrels.

5. Is caffeine harmful to squirrels?

In small doses, caffeine is not harmful to squirrels. However, in high doses, it can be toxic and even fatal. It is important for humans to properly dispose of caffeine-containing products and for squirrel habitats to be free of these substances to prevent harm to these animals.