Calc: Calculating Volume of a Pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of water inside a pipe using the formula pi x r^2 x height. The individual encountered difficulties in obtaining the correct answer due to incorrect unit conversions. After correcting the units, the final volume was calculated to be 4.18 liters, emphasizing the importance of keeping track of units in mathematical calculations.
qim
I understand that the volume of a pipe is the circle pi x r (sq) x height

I have worked out the volume of water inside a pipe running from the shower to the boiler (cold water that will run through the tap before the hot water arrives) and it does not make sense. The pipe is 22 mm; the distance (h) is 11 metres

So: pi x 0.11 (sq) x 11 = 0.418 m3 = 400 l ?

It can't be, surely! 400 Litres? I guess it around 42 litres, but where did I go wrong with the decimal points?

Thanks

qim

Physics news on Phys.org
its 22mm is 0.022m not 0.22

Thanks.

But now I get 0.004 which is 4 litres. It seems too little

Your formula should be V = pi * (0.011 m)^2 * 11 m = 4.18e-3 m^3. A liter is 1e-3 m^3, so your answer is 4.18 liters.

The lesson here is to keep close track of your units, by actually WRITING THEM DOWN.

Thanks!

qim

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a pipe?

The formula for calculating the volume of a pipe is V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the pipe, and h is the height or length of the pipe.

2. How do I find the radius of a pipe?

The radius of a pipe can be measured by taking the distance from the center of the pipe to the outer edge. If you have a pipe with an irregular shape, you can use a caliper or ruler to measure the diameter and then divide by 2 to find the radius.

3. What units should I use when calculating the volume of a pipe?

The units for calculating the volume of a pipe can vary depending on the measurement system you are using. In the metric system, the volume is typically measured in cubic meters (m^3), while in the imperial system, it is measured in cubic feet (ft^3).

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of a pipe with different shapes?

Yes, you can use the same formula to calculate the volume of a pipe with different shapes as long as you have the correct measurements for the radius and height. However, if the shape of the pipe is irregular, the formula may not be accurate and you may need to use other methods such as displacement or water testing to calculate the volume.

5. How can I use the volume of a pipe calculation in real-life applications?

The volume of a pipe calculation is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, construction, and manufacturing. It can be used to determine the amount of material needed for a pipe, the capacity of a pipe for transporting fluids, and the flow rate of a pipe. It is also useful in estimating costs and planning projects.