Kinetic energy of electron ejected by photon from potassium plate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Aran
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A photon with a frequency of 5.8 × 1014 Hz strikes a clean, negatively charged potassium plate. The work function of potassium is 3.6 × 10-19 J. Calculate the kinetic energy of an electron ejected from the plate by this electron.

Explanation is here i think:

bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/bitesize/higher/physics/radiation/optoelectronics1_rev.shtml

I don't understand anything in physics and I have this home test, and this is the only question I need answered. If you can please help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you ^^
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done yourself? That page is very clear and basically gives you all the tools you need to answer the question.