Calculate Heat Transfer for Cooling Saturated Water in a Closed Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Xkaliber
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework Thermo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Xkaliber
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Saturated liquid water contained in a closed, rigid tank is cooled to a final state where the temperature is 50 degrees C and the masses of saturated vapor and liquid present are 0.03 and 1999.97 kg, respectively. Determine the heat transfer for the process, in kJ.

Homework Equations



u = (1-x)u_f + x(u_g)

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I am able to find the values for all my variables except for the specific internal energy of the initial saturated liquid water. The value can be found on a saturation table but to do so, I need to know either the pressure or the temperature of the water, which is not given in the problem. Any hints on obtaining one these values?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Xkaliber said:
Saturated liquid water contained in a closed, rigid tank is cooled to a final state where the temperature is 50 degrees C and ...

...The value can be found on a saturation table but to do so, I need to know either the pressure or the temperature of the water, which is not given in the problem.


Will this help?
 
lol, I wish it were that easy, but I actually need the pressure or the temp of the saturated liquid before cooling. I am sure the 50 degrees C value is used in some way, direct or indirect, to find one of the numbers I need, but I am not sure how to calculate it.