Calculate K at 100 C for Reaction of Ethanol and Acetic Acid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Orbit1212
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rate Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Orbit1212
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have this problem to solve and I am having dificulity it doing so:

An aqueous solution of ethanol and acetic acid, each with a concentration of 0.810 M is heated to 100 C. At equilibrium, the acetic acid concentration is 0.748 M. Calculate K at 100 C for the reaction.

C2H5OH (aq) + CH3COOH (aq) <=> CH3COOC2H5 (aq) + H2O (l)

This isn't for homework or anything like that. I am just going back through old college textbooks and came across this one.

Thank you for help in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this reaction follows pseudo first order kinetics, so [tex]kt=ln\frac{a}{a-x}[/tex]. You have t=373k, a=.810 a-x=0.748, solve for k.