Average velocity from home to lamppost in 9 minutes

  • Thread starter Thread starter kp270
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
kp270
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Larry leaves home at 11:08 and runs at a constant speed to the lamppost. He reaches the lamppost at 11:17, immediately turns, and runs to the tree. Larry arrives at the tree at 11:22. What is Larry's average velocity during his trip from home to the lamppost, if the lamppost is 371.0 m west of home, and the tree is 630.0 m east of home?

Homework Equations



v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution



This is what I've done:
d=371 m
t = (9*60) = 540 s

v=371/540
=0.687 m/s

I'm just wondering what I am doing wrong can someone please help me
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am wondering what you are doing wrong as well. Why do you think it is wrong? Because I think you did the calculation correctly.
 
Is the positive direction of the x-axis pointing east or west? If it's pointing east then you're missing a minus sign.
 
I strongly suspect that the question meant to ask for the average
velocity from home to the tree.