Calculate % Natural Abundance of Carbon-13

  • Thread starter Thread starter pzona
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isotope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
pzona
Messages
234
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Carbon has two naturally occurring isotopes with the following isotopic masses: 12 (exactly) and 13.003. Calculate the percent natural abundance of carbon-13.


Homework Equations


I'm not sure if this is right, but here's what I used. I set up a system of two equations, 12x+13.003y=12.0107 (12.0107 being the atomic weight for carbon, obtained from the periodic table) and x+y=1 (because these are the ratios, which will be used to find the percentages).


The Attempt at a Solution


I solved for y, since that's the percentage I'm looking for. I don't think I should need to show my work, since it's pretty basic, but I was wondering if this is the right way to go about solving this problem. My answer came out to 1.1%, or 0.011 for y. Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Method looks OK and the result seems to be in a correct ballpark.

--
 
Last edited: