Calculating Natural Abundance of Lithium Isotopes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mootiek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Variables
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Mootiek
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
AMU Too many variables...?

Homework Statement



the atomic mass of lithium6 is 6.0151 and the amu of lithium-7 is 7.0160. calculate the natural abuncance of hese two isotopes. use the value of 6.941 amu as the value fr the average atomic mass of lithium


Homework Equations



ave atomic weight = (% of isotope 1)(amu of isotope 1)+(% of isotope 2)*(amu of isotope 2)


The Attempt at a Solution



Okay.. So the equation I set up ends up being

6.941 amu =X(7.0160)+Y(6.0151)

I have 2 variables, so here I get stuck... I have no idea how to solve when I have 2 variables...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a second equation. X and Y are not independent. What is their sum?
 
This link should help.
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Mole/AvgAtomicWt-Reverse.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: