1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate number of roads/lines a line crosses

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I have a really tricky problem here and I'm hoping that there is a math guru here who can help.

The problem

Using Google maps, I need to allow a user to draw a line. This line can be in any direction and basically, I need to determine if the user has drawn the line over a road and if so, how many.

Below is an example:
    The image doesn't seem to be showing so here is the link: http://postimg.org/image/iuj9e8jfj [Broken]

With Google Directions service, I am able to get the nearest road of the dropped marker (markers indicated by arrow in image).

For a single road, I believe that I can do this with Pythagoras, but for multiple roads by brain starts to boil.

If anyone here could help, I'd really appreciate it. I appreciate it is pretty tough so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

I really don't understand what you want to do. Do you want to calculate he number of roads the line is intersecting?

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3
    Yes, exactly that :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook