Calculate number of roads/lines a line crosses

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Rich2020
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Rich2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I have a really tricky problem here and I'm hoping that there is a math guru here who can help.

The problem

Using Google maps, I need to allow a user to draw a line. This line can be in any direction and basically, I need to determine if the user has drawn the line over a road and if so, how many.

Below is an example:
The image doesn't seem to be showing so here is the link: http://postimg.org/image/iuj9e8jfj

With Google Directions service, I am able to get the nearest road of the dropped marker (markers indicated by arrow in image).

For a single road, I believe that I can do this with Pythagoras, but for multiple roads by brain starts to boil.

If anyone here could help, I'd really appreciate it. I appreciate it is pretty tough so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I really don't understand what you want to do. Do you want to calculate he number of roads the line is intersecting?
 
adjacent said:
I really don't understand what you want to do. Do you want to calculate he number of roads the line is intersecting?

Yes, exactly that :)