Calculate Percent Dissociation of HBrO

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Gott_ist_tot
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Here is what should be an easy problem that I am somehow messing up

Homework Statement


Calculate the percent dissociation of 0.063 M Hydrobromous acid, HBrO. Do not solve the quadratic equation even if the percent dissociation is high.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I looked up K_a and found it to be 2.3*10^-9. After doing an equilibrium chart I got that x^2 = (2.3*10^9)(0.63). Therefore, x = 1.20 * 10^-5. I then divided this by 0.063 and multiplied by 100. I got 0.02% as a final answer. This does not sound right due to the hint and I was told it was wrong (online homework.

For the equilibrium table I just assumed that
HBrO + H2O <--> H3O + BrO.

Thanks for any help. I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a couple typos in there, but the method looks okay, and I get a similar answer. Also, it's strange that they do not give you a value of the Ka to use. Reported values are notoriously different. I've just looked and found several values between 2.0 and 2.5 (times 10-9M). Also, the software that checks your homework might require some specific number of sig figs (you've only got one).
 
Yeah, it was sig figs. 0.019. Thanks. Sorry for to use you guys for such a problem.